CALGARY, Feb. 6, 2013 /CNW/ -TSX: L The dazzling celebration of Chinese New Year, also known as the Spring Festival, falls this year on February 10 marking the end of the winter solstice according to the Chinese calendar and lunar new year. Chinese New Year is the longest and most important holiday in the Chinese calendar. T&T® brand products are being offered at Real Canadian Superstore® locations to help celebrate. Created by the team at T&T Supermarket, Canada's largest Asian supermarket chain, each T&T product has been personally taste approved by Cindy Lee, CEO, T&T® Supermarket.
This year is the year of the water snake - bringing with it the possibility of luck, adventure and prosperity. As part of a multicultural society, why not take the time to learn about the unique traditions associated with this holiday and celebrate with your friends and family:
- The most important event of Chinese New Year is the Reunion Dinner. The reunion dinner on the eve of the Lunar New Year draws all family members back home to reaffirm love and respect that bind them together as a unit. The best food is served for this feast in abundance! Try T&T® Crispy Crackers can make a perfect appetizer. These crispy crackers can be topped with grilled vegetables, flavourful spreads or even marinated seafood. Available in Milk, Cheese and Saltine varieties
- Dumplings are considered a lucky food during this holiday. They symbolize wealth and are believed to bring abundance and prosperity because their shape resembles a Chinese ingot. Add some luck to your dinner with T&T® Cooked Dumplings or Pork Gyoza Dumplings - they're ready in just 2-3 minutes! Available in Shrimp & Chive, Shrimp or Pork varieties.
- Another custom of Chinese New Year is to reconcile with loved ones, wish others peace and happiness and to forget old grudges.
- Decorate your home with lanterns and banners in traditional red and gold, colours which signify wealth, longevity and good fortune.
- Gifts are commonly given on Chinese New Year. These can be sweets such as cakes and candy or the traditional red envelopes containing 'lucky' money (always in even numbers, odd numbers are considered unlucky) or sometimes chocolate coins.
- End your feast with sweet cakes, like T&T® Pineapple Cakes. Traditional pineapple cakes like these can be found in almost any bakery in Taiwan. The moist, crumbly, golden crust surrounds a chewy, fresh-tasting filling made with intensely sweet pineapples. Or try T&T® Chinese Style Pastry (also known as sachima), a moist, chewy puffed wheat snack from Taiwan resembling puffed rice squares. These treats are irresistibly sweet, slightly sticky and perfectly golden brown with no added preservatives! Available in a few varieties, family and friends will enjoy such as Raisin & Sesame, Multigrain and Egg.
"Over the years I've seen how open Canadians are to embracing a variety of diverse cultures and traditions," says Cindy Lee, CEO, T&T® Supermarket. "Since food is an integral part of important heritage and cultural celebrations, Chinese New Year is the perfect time to experience traditional Asian dishes with family and friends."
With the rising popularity of exotic spices and foods from around the world, it's easier than ever to create your very own unique Chinese New Year menu for guests. Adding to the already impressive array of international products sold across Real Canadian Superstore® locations, select T&T® brand products are now available, including:
- Unique and refreshing, T&T® Aloe Vera Drink is an incredibly popular Asian drink that contains real aloe vera pulp. Best served cold, it has an intense tropical flavour with just the right amount of sweetness. Try serving it to guests using pieces of frozen fruit like mango or pineapple instead of ice cubes.
- Treat your guests to a delicately flavoured glass of T&T® Jasmine Green Tea, made with tea leaves from the high mountains of Taiwan and blended with the essence of white jasmine flower. This infused iced tea drink is subtly floral, well-balanced and soothing without being overly sweet. Best served chilled or over ice, it's also rich in antioxidants and vitamin C.
- For a flavourful meal that's sure to impress guests, just add T&T® Korean Kalbi Marinade Sauce. This authentic marinade blends soy sauce, sesame seeds, hints of garlic, ginger and is mellowed by sweet pear, which helps tenderize meat and make it extra-succulent. Although traditionally used on beef ribs this marinade is also delicious on chicken and pork, perfect for fast grilling and easy Asian-style stir-fries.
For a full range of authentic, high-quality Asian products, visit T&T® Supermarket, Canada's largest Asian supermarket chain, or www.tnt-supermarket.com.
About Loblaw Companies LimitedTSX:L
Loblaw Companies Limited, a subsidiary of George Weston Limited, is Canada's largest food retailer and a leading provider of drugstore, general merchandise and financial products and services. Loblaw is one of the largest private sector employers in Canada. With more than 1,000 corporate and franchised stores from coast to coast, Loblaw and its franchisees employ more than 135,000 full-time and part-time employees. Through its portfolio of store formats, Loblaw is committed to providing Canadians with a wide, growing and successful range of products and services to meet the everyday household demands of Canadian consumers. Loblaw is known for the quality, innovation and value of its food offering. It offers Canada's strongest control (private) label program, including the unique President's Choice®, no name® and Joe Fresh® brands. In addition, the Company makes available to consumers President's Choice Financial® services and offers the PC® points loyalty program.
Product samples and high-resolution images are available.
SOURCE: Loblaw Companies Limited
For further information:
or to arrange an interview please contact:
Loblaw Companies Limited
905-459-2500 / [email protected]
Kelsey Strickland, Hill+Knowlton Strategies
416-413-4788 / [email protected]