Financial Literacy Leader invites Canadians and organizations to "count themselves in" #CountMeInCA
OTTAWA, Nov. 16, 2015 /CNW/ - Jane Rooney, Canada's Financial Literacy Leader, is inviting Canadians to get involved in the third week of Financial Literacy Month (FLM) by participating in activities that focus on planning and saving for the future—a critical life skill.
Week three of #FLM2015 coincides with Financial Planning Week, Education Savings Week and Global Entrepreneurship Week. During this time, organizations with an interest in financial literacy from across Canada are hosting events that underscore the importance of planning and saving for the future.
On November 17, 2015, Ms. Rooney will be in Toronto to participate in a webcast panel discussion organized by the Canadian Deposit Insurance Corporation (CDIC). The dialogue will focus on financial issues that affect Canadians, including those who are retired or planning for retirement.
The following day, Ms. Rooney will take part in a recognition event in Surrey for 26 students who designed a lunch program for 500 people experiencing homelessness in the Vancouver area. Ms. Rooney will congratulate the students for using It All Adds Up—a financial education resource developed through Free the Children's partnership with RBC—to make a positive contribution to their community, while learning financial management skills.
Ms. Rooney will also be in Winnipeg this week to participate in a workplace financial literacy workshop for Great-West Life employees, delivered by the Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada. Ms. Rooney will speak to the benefits of receiving and delivering financial education in the workplace to make the future better for youth and families, and for Canada's economic well-being.
For a full list of all #FLM2015 events, please consult the Canadian Financial Literacy Database.
- 2015 marks the 5th anniversary of November as Financial Literacy Month in Canada, as proclaimed by the Canadian Parliament.
- CDIC's 2015 Annual Public Meeting will be broadcast as a free live webcast on November 17, 2015.
- Now in its seventh year, Financial Planning Week is part of ongoing efforts to promote financial well-being for all Canadians and is a supporter of FLM.
- Watch for Education Savings Week events taking place November 15 to 21. Join the conversation on Twitter via #EduSaveWeek.
- Throughout the month of November, everyone is encouraged to take part in the FLM daily challenge on Twitter and Facebook, and join to the conversation via #FLM2015 and #CountMeInCA.
- The Canadian Financial Literacy Database is a one-stop source for information that ranges from how to open a bank account, access government benefits, budget and save, to how to protect yourself from fraud. It also offers organizations a platform to promote their tools and resources.
- The database includes more than 1,000 resources from more than 120 organizations. It also provides a list of the financial education activities and events taking place in November across the country.
- Organizations are encouraged to submit their financial literacy activities and events slated for November 2015 in the database via the input tool.
"On the whole, Canadians need to be aware of what their financial needs will be at all stages of their lives, so that they can prepare as early as possible. Whether you're a young person planning for your post-secondary education, a young family buying your first home, or you're approaching retirement, financial planning is how you think ahead to make sure that you save enough money to achieve your goals."
Jane Rooney, Financial Literacy Leader
- Financial Literacy Month
- #FLM2015 Promotional material
- #FLM2015 Social media guide
- Canadian Financial Literacy Database
- Submit your activity or event to the database
- Financial Literacy self-assessment quiz
- Financial Literacy Leader
- Financial Planning Week 2015
- CDIC's 2015 Annual Public Meeting
SOURCE Financial Consumer Agency of Canada
Video with caption: "Video: Why you should save and how". Video available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe4SN66ltJo
Image with caption: "Planning and saving for the future (CNW Group/Financial Consumer Agency of Canada)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20151116_C4220_PHOTO_EN_544743.jpg
For further information: Media Relations, Financial Consumer Agency of Canada, 613-941-4168, [email protected]