TORONTO, Sept. 5, 2017 /CNW/ -- Morningstar Research Inc., a Canadian subsidiary of Chicago-based independent investment research provider Morningstar, Inc. (NASDAQ: MORN), today released preliminary August 2017 performance data for its 44 Morningstar Canada Fund Indices, which measure the aggregate returns of funds in various standard categories. Thirty-five of the 44 fund indices increased during the month, though only five indices increased by more than 2.0%, while eight of the nine fund indices with negative results were down by 1.0% or less.
Highlights from Morningstar's August 2017 preliminary performance report include:
- The best-performing fund index for the month was the one that tracks the Precious Metals Equity category, which increased 7.7%. This comes on the heels of four consecutive months of negative performance for that fund index, during which time it lost 7.2%.
- The Morningstar Greater China Equity Fund Index was the second-best performer with a 3.9% increase, reflecting strong gains on the Hong Kong and Shanghai stock exchanges as well as well as a 2.5% appreciation of the Chinese currency relative to the Canadian dollar. Funds in this category continue to be the top performers in Canada so far in 2017, with an aggregate increase of 26.0% since the start of the year. Also benefiting from the strength of Chinese equities in August were funds in the Emerging Markets Equity, Asia Pacific Equity, and Asia Pacific ex-Japan Equity categories, whose fund indices were all among the top performers with increases of 2.1%, 1.2%, and 1.1%, respectively.
- Domestic equity funds posted flat results in August, as the Canadian energy sector detracted from the overall stock market's results. The Morningstar Canadian Equity Fund Index increased 0.4% for the month, while the Canadian Focused Equity and Canadian Dividend & Income Equity fund indices were both up 0.1%. The benchmark S&P/TSX Composite Index had a total return of 0.7% in August, with two of the big-three sectors posting positive results: The S&P/TSX materials and financial services sub-indexes were up 5.5% and 0.3%, respectively, but the energy sub-index lost 3.9%.
- The Morningstar U.S. Equity Fund Index increased 0.2% for the month, underperforming the S&P 500 Index which posted a total return of 0.6%. Currency effects were minimal but favourable to Canadian investors, as the U.S. dollar appreciated 0.4% against the loonie, amplifying the level of underperformance for the funds.
- The worst-performing fund category in August was Energy Equity, whose fund index decreased 4.5%. Other equity categories in the red included Financial Services Equity, Natural Resources Equity, and Canadian Small/Mid Cap Equity, down 1.0%, 0.8%, and 0.4%, respectively.
- Most fixed-income fund categories ended the month in positive territory. The best-performing fund indices for that asset class were the ones that track the Canadian Long Term Fixed Income and Canadian Inflation-Protected Fixed Income categories, up 2.9% and 2.1%, respectively, while the only ones in the red were Preferred Share Fixed Income, down 1.0%, and Floating Rate Loans, down 0.04%. The largest category in that group, Canadian Fixed Income, saw its fund index increase 1.2%.
To view the complete report about Morningstar's preliminary August 2017 performance data for Canadian funds, please visit https://goo.gl/R3QfJY.
Morningstar Canada's preliminary fund performance figures are based on change in funds' net asset values per share during the month, and do not necessarily include end-of-month income distributions. Final performance figures will be published on www.morningstar.ca next week.
About Morningstar Research Inc. and Morningstar, Inc.
Morningstar Research Inc. is a Canadian subsidiary of Chicago-based Morningstar, Inc., a leading provider of independent investment research in North America, Europe, Australia, and Asia. The company offers an extensive line of products and services for individual investors, financial advisors, asset managers, and retirement plan providers and sponsors, and institutional investors in the private capital markets. Morningstar provides data and research insights on a wide range of investment offerings, including managed investment products, publicly listed companies, private capital markets, and real-time global market data. Morningstar also offers investment management services through its investment advisory subsidiaries, with more than US$200 billion in assets under advisement and management as of June 30, 2017. The company has operations in 27 countries.
©2017 Morningstar, Inc. All rights reserved.
Christian Charest, +1 416-484-7817 or email@example.com
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/weak-but-mostly-positive-performance-for-canadian-funds-in-august-morningstar-canada-data-show-300513205.html
SOURCE Morningstar Research Inc.