Regional shopping trends identified
MISSISSAUGA, ON, Feb. 11 /CNW/ - Like many Canadians, Walmart Canada has been searching for the best and most affordable gifts for Valentine's Day. As Canadians continue to lament over excessive holiday spending, along comes Valentine's Day and the urge to give an unforgettable gift to your beloved. With jut a few days to go, Walmart's list of the top gifts for Valentine's Day, all priced under $50, won't put Canadians in the red and are sure to please all.
"While love may not cost anything, expressing this sentiment on Valentine's Day has been known to break the bank and, sadly, this can lead to heartache," said Gail Galea, senior vice president of general merchandise for Walmart Canada. "With so many great items at Walmart under $50, Valentine's Day doesn't need to put Canadians in the red."
Walmart research data identified the following trends:
- 60 per cent of Canadians will buy a Valentine's Day gift and the
majority will spend less than $50.
- Mom is buying for her entire family, not just her husband.
- Men are last-minute shoppers and so are Ontario residents.
- Quebecers, the planners, are the first to start their Valentine's Day
- Western Canadians, the romantics, are stocking up on rose petals.
- In Eastern Canada, Valentine's Day teddy bears dominate gift choices.
Some of the affordable Valentine's Day ideas for women, men and children:
- Hershey's Kisses, 200g - 227 g, 2/$5
- Romantic DVDs for Valentine's Day, assorted titles, $4.83 - $9.83
- 76g Hannah Montana heart box or 71g Princess Valentine heart, $4.96
- Men's Valentine's Day boxer shorts, assorted designs, 2/$10
- Valentine plush toys, $3.96 - $12.96
- Silk chemise with lace detail, $13.00
- Animated Valentine plush toys, $19.96
- Rose bouquet, 12 stem roses, $19.97
- Assorted prestige fragrances, $29.97
- 10kt gold earrings, assortment of hoop or drop earrings, $49
About Walmart Canada Corp.
Headquartered in Mississauga, Ontario, Walmart Canada operates a growing chain of 317 stores, serving more than a million Canadians daily. In 2009, Walmart Canada's corporate culture was ranked among the 10 most admired corporate cultures in Canada by Waterstone Human Capital Inc.
SOURCE Walmart Canada
For further information: For further information: or to request images, please contact: Felicia Fefer, Corporate Affairs, Walmart Canada, (905) 821-2111 x 4466