- Walmart at 1600 Le Corbusier Boulevard is relocated to 2075 Chomedy Boulevard
- Regional office for Walmart in Quebec and Atlantic provinces also moved to new location
- 160,000 sq ft store is a brand new design and 20,000 sq ft larger than the previous location
LAVAL, QC, Nov. 8, 2012 /CNW/ - Today at a grand opening ceremony, Walmart Canada opened its 12th supercentre in Quebec. The 160,000 square-foot store located at 2075 Chomedy Boulevard, Laval is a one-stop shopping destination dedicated to every day low prices. This store is also home to Walmart's regional office for Quebec and the Atlantic provinces.
Customers will appreciate the new location and updated design that includes easy-to-navigate aisles with directional signage, a bright interior colour palette clearly defining the store's merchandise areas as well as lower shelving throughout for improved sightlines. In addition to Accès Pharma, McDonald's, Portrait Studio, Greiche & Scaff that moved from the previous location, Regal Nails and a medical clinic will be added to the new location. A Tim Horton's will also be added to the new store in December.
"We are extremely pleased with Laval's newest supercentre," said Chantal Glenisson, senior vice president for Walmart Quebec. "I am very much looking forward to hearing what our customers have to say about the new design, and especially the fresh offering and the medical clinic, which our old location did not have."
The new Laval store is one of 73 projects planned for the company's current fiscal year, which will add 4.6 million square feet of retail space to its operations by January 31, 2013, the end of the company's fiscal year. The 73 projects, which include building new stores and expanding, remodeling or relocating existing stores, represent an investment of more than $750 million in Canadian communities. Included in these projects are 39 former Zellers stores. The 73 projects are expected to generate more than 14,000 store, trade and construction jobs.
"The team is very excited about their new store and can't wait to hear the reaction of our Laval customers," said Clair Bush, store manager at the new Chomedy Boulevard location. "It's a brand new store with a brand new design. Everyone has done an exceptional job getting this store ready for today."
Facts and Figures
Corbusier Boulevard store
- 366 associates
- 160,000 building footprint
- 338th Walmart Canada store
- Over 120,000 products (SKUs)
- 12th supercentre in Quebec
- 194th supercentre in Canada
Walmart in Quebec
- By January 31, 2013 Walmart Canada will have 64 stores in Quebec, including 15 supercentres.
- 17 Walmart projects planned for Quebec between February 1, 2012 and January 31, 2013:
- Construction of two brand new stores (including today's relocation announcement)
- Renovation or expansion of six stores to include a full grocery section
- Conversion of nine Zellers locations to Walmart stores
Walmart Canada today
- 4,000 new positions created at Walmart Canada this year
- 94,000: total work force by January 31, 2013
- 73 projects in the company's expansion plan this fiscal year (ending January 31, 2013)
- $750 million invested for the 73 projects
- 51 of 73 projects completed to date (including Laval)
- 367 stores in Canada (194 supercentres, 173 discount stores), including the new Laval location
- On January 31, 2012 Walmart had 333 stores in Canada
- Walmart will have over 375 stores by January 31, 2013
- $15.4 billon paid to Canadian suppliers in 2011
About Walmart Canada
Walmart Canada was established in 1994 with the acquisition of the Woolco chain. Over the past 18 years, Walmart Canada has more than doubled the number of stores in Canada and more than tripled the number of associates, creating a strong, stable retail chain which offers career opportunities.
Walmart Canada operates a growing chain of discount stores and supercentres with 337 locations nationwide serving more than one million customers each day. With 90,000 associates, Walmart Canada is one of Canada's largest employers and is recognized by Waterstone Human Capital as having one of Canada's top 10 corporate cultures. Walmart Canada is focused on helping Canadian families in need. Since 1994, Walmart has donated and raised more than $160 million to Canadian charities and not-for-profit organizations.
Image with caption: "New fresh meat section. (CNW Group/Walmart Canada)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20121108_C6347_PHOTO_EN_20388.jpg
Image with caption: "Accès Pharma pharmacy (CNW Group/Walmart Canada)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20121108_C6347_PHOTO_EN_20390.jpg
Image with caption: "Fresh produce Walmart 2075 Chomedy boulevard, Laval (CNW Group/Walmart Canada)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20121108_C6347_PHOTO_EN_20392.jpg
Image with caption: "Walmart 2075 Chomedy boulevard, Laval (CNW Group/Walmart Canada)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20121108_C6347_PHOTO_EN_20394.jpg
Image with caption: "Walmart 2075 Chomedy boulevard, Laval (CNW Group/Walmart Canada)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20121108_C6347_PHOTO_EN_20396.jpg
SOURCE: Walmart Canada
For further information:
Alex Roberton, 514 347 4923.
Find us here:
Corporate Site: www.walmartcanada.ca
Corporate Social Responsibility: www.walmartcsr.ca
Twitter: @walmartcanada https://twitter.com/WalmartCanada