MISSISSAUGA, ON, Dec. 10, 2015 /CNW/ - Today Canadian children are sending a heartfelt video welcome to help Syrian children feel at home in Canada.
View the video HERE.
As Syrian families begin arriving in Canada by the thousands, World Vision will share this touching video and other welcoming messages with the newcomers through partnering agencies. Based on World Vision's experience working with refugees in Lebanon and Jordan, Syrian children and their families need to feel welcome and supported in a variety of ways, according to the international development agency.
"We've been frankly overwhelmed by this outpouring of kindness from children. Kids teach us what it means to open our hearts to people in need. I hope this video will inspire all Canadians to give a warm welcome to Syrian refugees here in Canada.
-Hugh Brewster, National Manager, Canadian Programs, World Vision Canada
For an audio clip of this quote click here.
What you can do to help:
- Donate to agencies helping Syrian families. World Vision is working through community partners, to help welcome Syrian families arriving in Canada by providing necessities like housing, furniture, blankets and warm clothing. Find out more here.
5 other ways Canadians can help new Syrian families:
- Understand the crisis & talk about it: do your homework, understand what they have been through and dispel myths with friends, families and co-workers to promote positive perceptions.
- Chat about it online: use the Twitter #CanadiansWelcome as a forum for ideas on how to help, World Vision will share your friendly messages and videos with resettlement organizations.
- Be a good neighbour: contact local sponsorship committees or refugee services organizations and offer your time and your friendship. Offer transportation, free space and jobs.
- Donate professional time: translators, language tutors, counsellors and other professionals can assist the adaption to life in Canada.
- Do your own fundraising: host a yard sale of bake sale, organize a local community event, donate clothing and household items but make sure it's specifically requested by receiving organizations.
Link to high quality video of kids welcoming Syrian kids
Read stories of Syrian refugees
Website resource for helping government sponsored newcomers
Photos of Syrian refugee children
World Vision is a Christian relief, development, and advocacy organization working to create lasting change in the lives of children, families, and communities to overcome poverty and injustice. Inspired by our Christian values, World Vision is dedicated to working with the world's most vulnerable people regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, or gender. Visit our News Centre at worldvision.ca
SOURCE World Vision Canada
Video with caption: "VIDEO: Canadian Children Welcome their New Neighbours". Video available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mINeZ28wC0I
For further information: For interviews contact: Brett Tarver - 647-825-2712 or [email protected]