City ranks high in Toronto Global bid
VAUGHAN, ON, Oct. 21, 2017 /CNW/ - The City of Vaughan is one of Canada's fastest-growing municipalities, brimming with talent and urban amenities that can provide world-class companies like Amazon with opportunities for investment, innovation and growth.
Working with Toronto Global, Toronto Region's foreign direct investment agency, through York Region's Economic Strategy Branch, the City has demonstrated how Vaughan's advantages and its new downtown—the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre (VMC)—align with Amazon's priorities for their second world headquarters (HQ2). Amazon's anticipated $5-billion investment, projected to create up to 50,000 high-paying jobs, complements the City's vision to create a vibrant urban centre. The VMC has a world-class transit system offering seamless connectivity throughout the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). It is home to the Toronto Transit Commission's (TTC) Line 1 Extension, York Region Rapid Transit bus terminal, the new viva Bus Rapidway Transit System, and has access to the Metrolinx transit system. Early tenants already taking advantage of Vaughan's highly sought-after office availability in the VMC include KPMG, Miller Thomson, GFL Environmental and Harley Davidson.
Ranked one of the best places to do business in Canada, Vaughan is situated in the centre of the GTA, at the core of 6.3-million consumers, and within a 10-minute drive from Canada's largest airport, Pearson International. With excellent highway accessibility and market access to more than 140-million people within a one-day drive, Vaughan is a city of choice. It has a well-educated workforce where more than two-thirds of residents have a post-secondary education, which is higher than the provincial average, as well as a diverse population of more than 330,000 people, with 105 languages spoken in the city.
Vaughan continues to experience strong economic growth, averaging a 3.5 per cent increase in employment every year for the past decade – surpassing provincial and national averages. The City also shares a connection to more than one-million people in York Region, which is the third largest business hub and home to more than 600,000 jobs and 51,000 businesses, including the highest concentration of the technology workforce in the Toronto-Waterloo Corridor.
"The bid by Toronto Global clearly demonstrates that Vaughan is the place to be. We have a broad view of the world and endless opportunities to take our city to the next level. As a growing city, we take pride in our ability to attract investment and this is evident in our healthy employment market of more than 200,000 jobs, strong population growth and low tax rates. We have an open-for-business attitude and the ability to deliver on our promises. The Vaughan Metropolitan Centre is about creating a unique experience where people can live, work and play, all within the same city core. We have proven experience working with international companies and pride ourselves on being a key economic driver in the Greater Toronto Area through job creation, innovation and investment opportunities."
-Mayor Maurizio Bevilacqua
- The VMC is the largest and most ambitious project in the City's history. With approximately 179 hectares of development opportunities, it will include –
- 1.5 million square feet of office space, at minimum
- 750,000 square feet of retail space, at minimum
- 12,000 residential units to be home to 25,000 people, at minimum
- Density targets of 200 people and jobs per hectare by 2031
- Employment targets of 11,500 jobs of which 5,000 will be new office jobs
- The TTC Line 1 Extension is 8.6 kilometres – 6.2 kilometres from Downsview Station to Steeles West Station and then 2.4 kilometres from Steeles West to the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station. This subway extension is the first TTC rapid transit line to cross the City of Toronto boundary.
- The vivaNext bus rapidway is being built along Highway 7 in the VMC. The transportation hub at Highway 7 and Jane Street will have connections in every direction – by subway, bus or car.
ABOUT VAUGHAN: The City of Vaughan is one of Canada's fastest growing cities with a population of more than 330,000. Incorporated in 1991, Vaughan includes the communities of Concord, Kleinburg, Maple, Thornhill and Woodbridge. This culturally diverse municipality is located in the heart of York Region and the Greater Toronto Area.
SOURCE City of Vaughan
For further information: MEDIA CONTACT: Carmela Antolino, Corporate Communications, T. 905-832-8585, ext. 8077, E. firstname.lastname@example.org