TORONTO, March 25, 2014 /CNW/ - John Carmichael, Member of Parliament (Don Valley West), today announced $335,000 in funding for the Centennial Centre of Science and Technology, known as the Ontario Science Centre, on behalf of the Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages Shelly Glover.
The Government of Canada provided funding through the Canada Cultural Spaces Fund to renovate 23,400 square feet of exhibit space, construct display cases, and purchase and install specialized equipment. The newly renovated space enabled the Science Centre to launch a new exhibition that explores health, fitness, sport, nutrition and the human body.
- The new exhibition, The AstraZeneca Human Edge, opened in December 2013 and includes more than 80 exhibits.
- Since 1969, the Ontario Science Centre has welcomed more than 48 million visitors.
- The Centre has over one million visitors each year, including 200,000 Ontario school children, making it the province's most visited cultural attraction.
"Our Government is proud to invest in cultural spaces like the Ontario Science Centre, which showcase innovation while giving Canadians an outstanding cultural experience."
- Shelly Glover, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages
"It is terrific to see the Government of Canada supporting the Ontario Science Centre. These upgrades will ensure that Canadians will continue to enjoy a great selection of exhibits at the Centre that entertain while educating."
- John Carmichael, Member of Parliament (Don Valley West)
"The Ontario Science Centre is grateful for the support of the Government of Canada. Through this support, the Centre will continue to inspire a lifelong journey of curiosity, discovery and action to create a better future for the planet."
- Lesley Lewis, CEO, Ontario Science Centre
SOURCE: Canadian Heritage
For further information:
(media only), please contact:
Office of the Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages
Manager of Regional Communications Ontario Region
Media Relations Canadian Heritage 819-994-9101 1-866-569-6155 firstname.lastname@example.org