Named one of the country's Top 100 Employers
CHATHAM, ON, Oct. 10, 2012 /CNW/ - For the third year running, Union Gas is one of Canada's Top 100 Employers. This honour, awarded by Mediacorp Canada Inc., comes as the company begins its second century of service to more than 400 communities across Ontario.
"We know an engaged, high-performing team is critical to delivering results," said Steve Baker, president of Union Gas. "That's why we're committed to helping employees grow in their careers, maintain a healthy balance between work and life and make a lasting difference in our communities. Our 2,200 employees are second to none - empowered, engaged and committed to serving our customers and communities across Ontario."
"We work hard every day to be the company of choice for our employees, working together to create a safe, inclusive, accountable culture where we can all strive to consistently deliver results and excellence," said Greg Ebel, president and chief executive officer of Spectra Energy Corp, the parent company of Union Gas. "Being recognized as a Top 100 Employer for the third time underlines our reputation as one of the best places to work in Canada."
Union Gas is considered one of Canada's best places to work because:
- The company is committed to high performance and actively engages employees at all levels in personal development opportunities such formal training and development programs, leadership development and cross-cultural networks, green teams, Toastmasters, and more .
- It gives employees the opportunity to influence continual improvement in the workplace through regular employee opinion surveys, and it acts on feedback.
- It helps employees meet the challenge of work/life balance through a range of programs such as part-time, flex time and job sharing arrangements.
- The company and employees at all levels are firmly committed to their personal safety and the safety of their co-workers, contractors, customers and the public.
- All employees are encouraged to be active members of the communities where they live and work. The company's comprehensive community investment program champions social causes that employees are most passionate about through support for volunteerism, a corporate match for charitable donations and an employee-led United Way campaign.
Over the past 100 years, Union Gas has been privileged to work in more than 400 Ontario communities. In addition to natural gas delivery services for homes and businesses, Union Gas has contributed to the province through significant economic investments, hundreds of jobs, millions in municipal taxes, energy efficiency programs, thousands of volunteer hours for community organizations, major charitable giving and sponsorships. Last year alone, Union Gas contributed $3 million to charitable organizations across Ontario, including more than $900,000 to United Way. For more information visit uniongas.com/community.
About Union Gas
Union Gas Limited is a major Canadian natural gas storage, transmission and distribution company based in Ontario with 100 years of experience and service to customers. The distribution business serves about 1.4 million residential, commercial and industrial customers in more than 400 communities across northern, southwestern and eastern Ontario. Union Gas' growing storage and transmission business offers a variety of storage and transportation services to customers at the Dawn Hub, the largest underground storage facility in Canada and one of the largest in North America. The Dawn Hub offers customers an important link in the movement of natural gas from Western Canadian and U.S. supply basins to markets in central Canada and the northeast U.S. Union Gas, named one of Canada's Top 100 Employers and one of Canada's Greenest Employers, for 2013, is a Spectra Energy (NYSE: SE) company with assets of $5.8 billion and approximately 2,200 employees. For more information, visit uniongas.com.
About Spectra Energy
Spectra Energy Corp (NYSE: SE), a FORTUNE 500 company, is one of North America's premier natural gas infrastructure companies serving three key links in the natural gas value chain: gathering and processing, transmission and storage, and distribution. For more than a century, Spectra Energy and its predecessor companies have developed critically important pipelines and related infrastructure connecting natural gas supply sources to premium markets. Based in Houston, Texas, the company's operations in the United States and Canada include more than 19,000 miles of transmission pipeline, approximately 305 billion cubic feet of storage, as well as natural gas gathering and processing, natural gas liquids and local distribution operations. The company also has a 50 percent ownership in DCP Midstream, one of the largest natural gas gatherers and processors in the United States. Spectra Energy is a member of the Dow Jones Sustainability World and North America Indexes and the Carbon Disclosure Project's Global 500 and S&P 500 Carbon Disclosure Leadership Indexes. For more information, visit www.spectraenergy.com.
SOURCE: Union Gas Limited
For further information:
Manager, External Communications and Media Relations
Ph: 519 436-5490 or 1-800-571-8446 ext. 5490
Cell: 519 365-1010
Fax: 519 436-4621