Estimates majority of customers will have gas service by mid-day
MILTON, ON, Dec. 15 /CNW/ - At approximately 2:30 p.m. on Dec. 15, a
natural gas leak occurred while a Union Gas crew was performing
maintenance on a pipeline on Bennett Street in Milton. The line had
been safely excavated and maintenance work was underway when a gas leak
occurred. The escaping gas then caught fire. Three townhomes at the
intersection of Clark and Bennett were damaged by the fire. No local
residents were injured. Union Gas is working closely and cooperating
fully with the Fire Marshal and other regulatory agencies in the effort
to identify why the leak occurred and then caught fire.
One Union Gas employee was injured and taken to hospital. He is being
kept in hospital overnight for observation and is expected to be
"Nothing is more important than both the safety of the citizens in the
communities we serve and the safety of our employees," said Paul
Rietdyk, Vice President of Union Gas. "This type of incident is a rare
event. We're anxious to complete the investigation so we can
understand what happened and make sure it never happens again. Our
thoughts are with the three families whose homes were damaged and all
residents who have been impacted by this incident."
To ensure our customers are safe and as comfortable as possible under
the circumstances Union Gas will compensate them for costs to obtain
local accommodations. In addition, the Halton Region has opened a
warming centre in the auditorium of E.C. Drury High School at 215
Ontario Street South in Milton.
As part of the pipeline repair process, natural gas service was
interrupted to approximately 500 customers in the residential area of
Yates Blvd to the north, Thompson Road to the west, Clark Blvd. to the
south and Bennett and McDowell Avenues to the east.
At 9 p.m. this evening, Union Gas crews began restoring natural gas
service to impacted customers and it is estimated that the majority of
customers will have gas service by mid-day tomorrow, provided Union Gas
is able to gain access to the home.
"We want to express our sincere appreciation to the first responders and
emergency services personnel who assisted to ensure the safety of local
residents," added Rietdyk.
Any customers needing assistance can call Union Gas at 1-877-969-0999.
About Union Gas
Union Gas Limited is a major Canadian natural gas storage, transmission
and distribution company based in Ontario with nearly 100 years of
experience and service to customers. The distribution business serves
1.3 million residential, commercial and industrial customers in more
than 400 communities across northern, southwestern and eastern Ontario.
Union Gas's growing storage and transmission business offers premium
storage and transportation services to customers at the Dawn Hub, the
largest underground storage facility in Canada and one of the largest
in North America. It offers customers an important link in the movement
of natural gas from Western Canadian and U.S. supply basins to markets
in central Canada and the northeast U.S. Union Gas, one of Canada's Top
100 Employers for 2011, is a Spectra Energy (NYSE: SE) company with assets of $5 billion and approximately 2,200 employees.
For more information, visit uniongas.com.
SOURCE Union Gas Limited
For further information:
Manager, Public Affairs and Media Relations
Union Gas Limited
Ph: 519 436-5490 or 1-800-571-8446 ext. 5490
Cell: 519 365-1010
Fax: 519 436-4621