VANCOUVER, Dec. 5, 2018 /CNW/ - Unifor applauds introduction of CleanBC plan and encourages the swift implementation of its ambitious programs.
"CleanBC is a measurable plan designed in collaboration with workers that will re-establish B.C. as a climate leader," said Joie Warnock, Unifor Western Regional Director. "The plan shows promise of cutting carbon pollution while ensuring that the B.C. economy will continue to grow and support workers with good, green jobs."
Unifor is supportive of aspects of the plan that punish polluters and offers support to industry in its conversion to low-emission operations, and applauds new collaboration with labour, employers and post-secondary institutions to provide training and job opportunities for new and mid-career workers from all backgrounds.
Notably, CleanBC describes a credible plan to achieve 75 per cent of the province's 2030 Green House Gas (GHG) reduction goals, with the remaining 25 per cent to be announced in the next two years. The B.C. plan is presented at a time when the federal government faces growing opposition to its price on pollution from multiple Conservative Premiers.
"The CleanBC plan gives certainty and confidence to working families, knowing that Premier Horgan has a real plan to ensure B.C. does its part to reduce carbon pollution and support just transition," said Jerry Dias, Unifor National President. "Conservative Premiers should take note: now is the time to lead, not to ignore the crisis and leave workers further behind in the transition to a greener economy."
Gavin McGarrigle, Unifor B.C. Area Director, represents the union on the Climate Solutions and Clean Growth Advisory Council (Climate Advisory Council). The Council provides independent review, issued recommendations and will continue to monitor government's progress, including the implementation of a new CleanBC Labour Readiness Plan to address the labour and workplace opportunities that could arise as a result of the plan. McGarrigle attended today's announcement, representing 27,200 workers in the province.
Unifor is Canada's largest union in the private sector, representing 315,000 workers in every major area of the economy. The union advocates for all working people and their rights, fights for equality and social justice in Canada and abroad, and strives to create progressive change for a better future.
For further information: contact Sarah McCue, Unifor National Communications Representative at 416-458-3307 (cell) or email@example.com.