– TSN's 4K evolution is part of the network's rich history of broadcasting innovations, including introducing Canadians to High Definition in 2003 –
To tweet this release: http://bmpr.ca/1QmPy0R
TORONTO, Jan. 20, 2016 /CNW/ - After becoming the first sports network in Canada to produce a live sports event in High Definition (HD), tonight's Toronto Raptors vs. Boston Celtics game marks another historic first for TSN. Tonight's Raptors game on TSN becomes the first-ever live 4K Ultra HD broadcast produced in North America – one of many broadcasting innovations ushered in by Canada's Sports Leader.
"Tonight we celebrate another historic milestone in TSN's rich history," said Stewart Johnston, President of TSN. "We introduced Canadians to HD in 2003, and we are extremely proud that TSN is the first network to produce a live 4K broadcast in North America, from right here in Canada. Tonight marks just the first of many different sports we'll showcase in 4K. Beyond basketball and hockey, there's much more to come."
"We've done extensive testing in preparation for this historic North American production first," said Mark Milliere, Senior Vice-President of Production, TSN. "With the best broadcast and production teams in Canada at the helm, we are ready to enter the 4K world. And we're just getting started – we have some awesome 4K content planned in 2016."
TSN's 4K content is available on Bell Fibe TV (Channel 1399) and on Rogers (Channel 999).
As announced last week, TSN will follow up on tonight's debut with a slate of 4K broadcasts featuring the Toronto Raptors, Toronto Maple Leafs, and Ottawa Senators (additional broadcasts available in 4K on TSN will be announced in the coming months).
TSN Firsts and Major Milestones
Since launching as Canada's first all-sports network in 1984, TSN has introduced a wide variety of innovations and broadcast features that have become industry standard.
- 2016 – TSN produces the first live 4K broadcast in North America
- 2015 – TSN sets a new #1 record, with the World Juniors gold medal game between Canada and Russia becoming the most-watched telecast ever on Canadian specialty television with 7.1 million viewers
- 2014 – TSN expands to five national feeds, bringing Canadians more sports and more choice than any other sports broadcaster
- 2014 – TSN becomes the first Canadian sports network to offer a live streaming and on-demand service with the launch of TSN GO
- 2014 – TSN launches its dedicated sports and pop culture website BarDown.com, the first of its kind for a Canadian sports network
- 2011 – TSN Radio in Toronto hits the airwaves, marking the first of eight stations to launch under the TSN Radio family
- 2009 – TSN goes social with the launch of its Facebook page – now part of a growing portfolio of industry-leading social media accounts spanning Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, and more
- 2008 – TSN becomes the new home of the CFL, marking the first time a specialty network has exclusive coverage of every CFL game, all season long – including playoffs and the Grey Cup
- 2008 – TSN announces the launch of its new 24-hour sports digital network, TSN2
- 2006 – TSN becomes the first network to implement 1 Up/1 Down and Front Row Centre broadcasting techniques in hockey telecasts
- 2006 – TSN launches Canada's first, fully programmed, all-sports broadband channel, TSN Broadband, at TSN.ca, delivering on-demand video content online
- 2006 – TSN becomes the first Canadian broadcaster to deliver a daily newscast – sports or non-sports – in HD
- 2003 – TSN becomes the first sports channel in Canada to broadcast a live sports event in HD with the broadcast of a Montreal Alouettes @ Hamilton Tiger-Cats CFL game
- 2003 – TSN and Discovery become the first two specialty channels in Canada to broadcast in HD
- 2000 – TSN becomes the first broadcaster to deliver full-day coverage of NHL Trade Deadline Day, with TRADECENTRE headlining a slate of TSN Original productions, including FREE AGENT FRENZY and DRAFT LOTTERY, which are now much-imitated in the industry
- 1995 – TSN launches Canada's first sports news and information website, TSN.ca
- 1993 – TSN SportsDesk becomes the first one-hour sports news program in North America
- 1985 – TSN broadcasts its first NHL game (All-Star Game); the Blue Jays win their first division title on TSN; and Canada wins World Junior gold on TSN
- 1984 – TSN becomes Canada's first and only national 24-hour all-sports television network
4K on Bell Fibe TV
Bell recently announced that Fibe TV customers in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa and Québec City can now purchase the new 4K Whole Home PVR, the most advanced and compact 4K receiver available and a significant step up from the basic 4K set-top box. The 4K Whole Home PVR enables recording of up to 150 hours of 4K content, is the only model compatible with Bluetooth remote control, and is also ready for the next step in broadcasting, high dynamic range (HDR). In late February, Bell will make the 4K Whole Home PVR available for purchase or rent to all and new and existing Bell Fibe TV customers in Ontario and Québec and Bell Aliant FibreOP TV customers in Atlantic Canada. To learn more, please visit Bell.ca/4k.
SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS
Click here for a list of all TSN Twitter accounts
TSN is Canada's Sports Leader and #1 specialty network. With a broad portfolio of multimedia sports assets, TSN delivers world-class content across its industry-leading platforms including five national television feeds, TSN.ca, TSN GO, and TSN Radio stations across the country. With more championship events than any broadcaster in the country, TSN's roster of live sports programming includes the Grey Cup, IIHF World Junior Championship, Hockey Canada events, CFL, NFL, NBA, MLS, Toronto Maple Leafs, Ottawa Senators, Winnipeg Jets, Season of Champions Curling, FIFA World Cup, UEFA Euro 2016, MLB, Barclays Premier League, Golf's Majors, NASCAR, F1, Grand Slam Tennis, NCAA March Madness, and Skate Canada and Rugby Canada events. TSN is a division of Bell Media, which is part of BCE Inc. (TSX, NYSE: BCE), Canada's largest communications company.
Image with caption: "TSN 4K has arrived (download graphics at http://bit.ly/1RS5VEs). (CNW Group/TSN)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20160120_C5205_PHOTO_EN_602209.jpg
Image with caption: "TSN (CNW Group/TSN)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20160120_C5205_PHOTO_EN_602207.jpg
For further information: Renee Rouse, (w) 416.384.7599, (c) 416.428.4807, firstname.lastname@example.org; Rob Duffy, (w) 416.384.5717, (c) 416.802.3319, email@example.com; Dimitri Bariamis, (w) 416.384.5665, (c) 416.575.2601, firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @TSN_PR