OTTAWA, Dec. 10, 2013 /CNW/ - Trend Micro Incorporated (TYO: 4704; TSE: 4704) today released its 5th annual security predictions report, "Blurring Boundaries: Trend Micro Security Predictions for 2014 and Beyond." According to Trend Micro's chief technology expert and his team, one major data breach will occur every month next year. Advanced mobile banking and targeted attacks will accelerate. Critical infrastructure threats, as well as emerging security challenges are also highlighted.
"We see the sophistication of threats expanding at a rapid pace, which will impact individuals, businesses and governments alike," said Raimund Genes, CTO, Trend Micro. "From mobile banking vulnerabilities and targeted attacks, to growing privacy concerns and the potential of a major breach each month, 2014 promises to be a prolific year for cybercrime."
Prominent predications for 2014 include:
- Malicious and high-risk Android apps will reach 3 million before the end of the year
- Banking via mobile devices will be compromised by an uptick of Man-in-the-Middle attacks, making two-step verification inadequate
- Cybercriminals will increasingly use targeted-attack-type methodologies like open source research and highly customized spear phishing
- Mobile devices will be increasingly targeted through advanced threats including clickjacking and watering hole attacks
- Lack of support for popular software such as Java 6 and Windows XP will expose millions of PCs to attack
- Public trust, compromised by revelations of state-sponsored monitoring, will result in a variety of efforts to restore privacy
- The Deep Web will continue to vex law enforcement's ability to address widespread cybercrime
The report also focuses on the rise of what many technology experts are calling the Internet of Everything or IoE, currently thought of as a personal technology game changer. With augmented reality delivered through wearable technology including watches and eyewear, the possibility of large-scale cybercrime from identity theft is a very real possibility as the technology continues to proliferate.
The report parallels Trend Micro's long-term projections in the recently released nine-part online video drama entitled "2020: The Series", which is based on Project 2020, a white paper developed in collaboration with the International Cyber Security Protection Alliance (ICSPA). The unique series presents a future consumed by technology and living under looming cyber vulnerabilities.
A PDF of "Blurring Boundaries: Trend Micro Security Predictions for 2014 and Beyond" can be downloaded at: http://www.trendmicro.com/cloud-content/us/pdfs/security-intelligence/reports/rpt-trend-micro-security-predictions-for-2014-and-beyond.pdf.
Watch "2020: The Series" in its entirety to learn what the future holds for technology at: 2020.trendmicro.com.
TrendLabs Security Intelligence Blog entry:
About Trend Micro
Trend Micro Incorporated a global leader in security software, rated number one in server security (IDC, 2013), strives to make the world safe for exchanging digital information. Built on 25 years of experience, our solutions for consumers, businesses and governments provide layered data security to protect information on mobile devices, endpoints, gateways, servers and the cloud. Trend Micro enables the smart protection of information, with innovative security technology that is simple to deploy and manage, and fits an evolving ecosystem. All of our solutions are powered by cloud-based global threat intelligence, the Trend Micro™ Smart Protection Network™ infrastructure, and are supported by over 1,200 threat experts around the globe. For more information, visit TrendMicro.com.
SOURCE: Trend Micro Canada
For further information:
Media Contact: Claire M. Tallarico, 416 616 9940, [email protected]