OTTAWA, Aug. 27, 2012 /CNW/ - A quick, easy and free digital declutter at the beginning of the school year will free up space on your system and keep data safer on individual and family computers.
"Fall means more time inside and online for school, work and fun. And more time online increases the probability that you will encounter spam, scams, spyware, viruses, and other Web threats," said Jim Short, Trend Micro Canada General Manager. "While nothing beats common sense and a few minutes of your time to protect your family's life online, it also helps to keep your Internet security software up-to-date."
- Clear your browser's cache. The best way to get rid of clutter is to throw it out. Clearing your browser's cache and uninstalling unnecessary programs frees up space on your system and removes potential security risks.
- Uninstall or delete programs you don't use. Unused programs are often left unpatched. This retains vulnerabilities that bad guys can exploit. It's important to always patch and update programs that you decide to keep. The same applies to your Operating System (OS).
- Regularly empty the Recycle Bin and Temporary Internet Files folder. Digital clutter on laptops and desktops accumulate through daily use. Cleaning out these folders will help your machine provide fast and optimal performance
- Streamline your contact lists. This minimizes risks for personal data threats, account hijacking or being taken in by scams that make use of malicious links.
- Manage your passwords We can't say this enough. Use different passwords for different sites. A longer password is just as effective as a random string of letters, numbers, and special characters. A password manager like Trend Micro™ DirectPass™ can also automate and ease the otherwise complicated process of managing several passwords.
About Trend Micro
Trend Micro Incorporated (TYO: 4704;TSE: 4704), a global cloud security leader, creates a world safe for exchanging digital information with its Internet content security and threat management solutions for businesses and consumers.
SOURCE: Trend Micro Canada
For further information:
Claire M. Tallarico 416-616-9940