Canadians expected to shop on line in record numbers this season
OTTAWA, Nov. 19, 2013 /CNW/ - With Canadians planning to shop on line in record numbers this holiday season, Trend Micro Canada's Ottawa based internet security experts are offering their five top tips for a safe on line shopping experience.
"It is both fast and simple to prevent spam and malware from becoming the gifts that give nothing but grief," said Trend Micro's George McTaggart. "When shopping on line, make sure you are buying through legitimate sites and companies."
- Bookmark reliable online shopping sites. Relying on search engine results can lead you to malicious sites.
- Ignore suspicious offers via email. Three out of four spam attachments are malicious in nature. Spam offerings use discounts that may contain malicious links or file attachments that lead to system infection.
- Verify unbelievable offers. Spam and online ads offering mind boggling promos and discounts can lead to web threats.
- Double check payment sites urls. Phishers trick users into giving out personal information via spoofed pages. Be careful - two of the most commonly phished sites are eBay and Paypal.
- After you have made your purchase, check your billing statements to monitor transactions. Immediately report any discrepancy to your bank.
According to the latest numbers available from Statistics Canada, the value of orders placed online by Canadians reached $18.9 billion in 2012, up 24% from 2010 when the survey was last conducted. The average online shopper made about 13 separate orders and spent approximately $1,450.1
About Trend Micro
Trend Micro Incorporated, a global leader in security software, rated number one in server security (IDC, 2013), strives to make the world safe for exchanging digital information. Built on 25 years of experience, our solutions for consumers, businesses and governments provide layered data security to protect information on mobile devices, endpoints, gateways, servers and the cloud. Trend Micro enables the smart protection of information, with innovative security technology that is simple to deploy and manage, and fits an evolving ecosystem. All of our solutions are powered by cloud-based global threat intelligence, the Micro™ Smart Protection Network™ infrastructure, and are supported by over 1,200 threat experts around the globe. For more information, visit TrendMicro.com.
SOURCE: Trend Micro Canada
For further information:
Media Contact: Claire M. Tallarico, 416 616 9940