Wi-Fi and creature comforts are hotel amenity must haves according to Hotels.com survey
TORONTO, Feb. 20, 2013 /CNW/ - Global travellers are looking for a home-away-from-home experience when they stay in a hotel according to the latest research from leading online accommodation booking service, Hotels.com®. Topping the list of must-have hotel amenities are free Wi-Fi and free food and beverages, with caffeine being a must. All the rest is just well... extra.
Staying Connected…for Free
- 34 per cent say free Wi-Fi is the number one factor in choosing a hotel even on leisure stays.
- 56 per cent of respondents said free Wi-Fi was their number one must-have when travelling for business.
- 66 per cent indicated free Wi-Fi is the amenity they most wish would become standard at all hotels in 2013.
Free Wi-Fi trumps both free parking and complimentary breakfast when it comes to choosing a hotel for both leisure and business travel, showing that access to the online world is a necessity for modern-day travellers with over a third still looking to stay connected while on vacation. In fact just 11 per cent of global travellers said they would be willing to pay for Wi-Fi when staying in a hotel. For Canadian travellers, standardized free Wi-Fi tops 70 per cent of their wish lists.
"With an increase in airlines and airports offering free Wi-Fi, tech-savvy travellers expect the experience to continue upon arrival at their hotel," said Taylor L. Cole, director public relations and social media, North America at Hotels.com. "They are using their tablets, smart phones and laptops to plan activities, stay connected to family and even order a delivery meal straight to their hotel room, so it's no surprise they require free and fast Wi-Fi."
The Perk of New Technology - Favourite "Modern" In-Room Amenity
- Technological creature comforts of home are also high on the priority list for travellers with 23 per cent choosing high-end coffee makers as their top modern in hotel room amenity.
Totally wired rooms which are completely controlled by one remote for any need took 20 per cent of the vote. Guests also indicated they would like to enjoy that much-wanted free Wi-Fi on hotel-provided tablets for guest information, room service and local guides (15 per cent). While the above also stands true for Canadian travellers, they are also interested in relaxing during their travel, with 13 per cent hoping for massage chairs added to their rooms.
It's the Little Things that Count - Most Appreciated Simple Amenity
- Keeping hydrated when travelling is important to hotel guests with 43 per cent choosing complimentary bottled water as the most appreciated simple amenity.
Only respondents from Taiwan, Hong Kong and Brazil rated free power adaptors above bottled water. Although Canadians love the simplicity of a refreshing bottle of water, they also want to feel secure when on the road and 13 per cent said they would like their room to come with a safe for their belongings.
The Way to Hotel Guests' Hearts - Through Their Stomachs!
- Free breakfast ranked as the favourite (31 per cent) non-tech item global travellers want to see become standard at all hotels in 2013.
- Happy hours, wine tastings or any other time with free food and drinks is 42 per cent of global travellers' favourite newly offered hotel service amenity, with international breakfast options coming in second (19 per cent).
- Travellers cite unlimited free food and beverages as their most (23 per cent) missed comfort from home when travelling. Another 14 per cent said they miss access to cooking in their kitchen the most.
- While happy hours and wine tastings are a global favourite, Canadians would rather participate in social drinking than use the mini-bar. That's right, of respondents, 35 per cent think they're just too expensive to take advantage of.
Five-Star Life - The Highs and Lows of Luxury Perks
- 26 per cent say their favourite amenity while staying at a luxury hotel is the high end fitness centre and/or spa, while designer toiletries also rank highly (21 per cent).
- While travellers enjoy their time living the highlife, the promotion of bath menus/bath butlers (26 per cent) and turn down service (24 per cent) as amenities simply aren't of interest according to survey respondents.
- More than half of respondents (54 per cent) chose the complimentary use of a Rolls Royce Phantom as the "outrageous" luxury hotel amenity they'd most like to experience. No real surprise there! The surreal car ride beat out access to a tea sommelier (9 per cent), in-room mixologist (9 per cent), and fragrance butler (5 per cent) among other lesser desired extreme amenities.
- For Canadians, the use of cabanas and pool towels (24 per cent) was a popular favourite perk of luxury travel.
Hotels.com makes it easy to book the type of accommodations with amenities travellers want through theme/type and amenities filters to help guests find the perfect home away from home they desire.
Editors Note: The survey was conducted in January 2013, using a weighted average based on a sample size of more than 8,600 respondents across 28 countries/cities: Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, UK, USA.
Hotels.com (also known in Canada as Hotels.ca) is a leading online accommodation booking brand. Through its global network of websites, Hotels.com, LP connects travellers with over 160,000 properties around the world, ranging from international chains and all-inclusive resorts to local favourites and bed & breakfasts, together with all the information needed to book the perfect stay. Hotels.com, LP benefits from one of the largest hotel contracting teams in the industry, obtaining the best rates for its customers, and offers frequent sales, special deals and promotions. There are more than 7 million Guest Reviews on the websites from users who have actually stayed in the hotels to ensure customers can make an informed choice when booking. Through Hotels.com, LP's industry-leading loyalty program Welcome RewardsTM, customers can earn a free night for every 10 nights stayed at more than 85,000 hotels. Under its Price Match Guarantee, if a customer can find the same deal for less on a prepaid hotel, Hotels.com, LP will refund the difference. Travellers can book online or by contacting one of the multilingual call centers. Special apps for mobile phones and tablets can also be downloaded at www.hotels.com/deals/mobile_app/ enabling customers to book on the go with access to 20,000 last minute deals. Hotels.com publishes an award-winning twice-yearly review of international hotel room price trends called the Hotels.com Hotel Price Index™, which is now produced in 31 individual country editions, with North American data available at www.hotel-price-index.com. Follow Hotels.com on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Hotels.comCA, on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/hotelsdotcomca and on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/user/hotelsdotcom. Hotels.com, LP is part of Expedia, Inc., the largest online travel company in the world with an extensive portfolio that includes some of the world's best-known brands.
Hotels.com and the Hotels.com logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Hotels.com, LP. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners. © 2013 Hotels.com, LP. All rights reserved. CST # 2083949-50
Image with caption: "Free Wi-Fi and premium coffee topped the list for Canadian travellers. (CNW Group/Hotels.com)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20130220_C6637_PHOTO_EN_23834.jpg
For further information: