Travel tips from the Canada Border Services Agency

MONTREAL, Dec. 21 /CNW Telbec/ - With the coming of the winter season, many residents of Canada will travel by air for their vacations. The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) makes every effort to effectively process the volume of international arrivals at airports. The travel tips below will assist travellers to take appropriate action before their departure, and to be aware of requirements to facilitate their return to Canada.

Proper identification

Make sure that you are carrying proper identification for yourself and any children travelling with you so you can prove that you have the legal right or authorization to enter Canada upon your return. While a passport is not mandatory for entry into Canada, it is the only document that is universally accepted..

Travelling with children - authorization letter

It is strongly recommended that any adults, who are not the parents or legal guardians of children with whom they are travelling, have a letter authorizing them to take the children outside the country. The letter should include addresses and telephone numbers where the parents or legal guardian can be reached. Divorced/separated parents who share custody of their children should carry copies of legal custody documents.

Personal exemptions

When you return to Canada, be prepared to pay the GST and provincial tax on your purchases, and customs duties on some items. Declare all your purchases and have receipts readily available. After an absence of seven days, you are entitled to CAN$750 duty- and tax-free.

One of the following amounts of alcohol can be imported free of duty and taxes (if you have been away at least 48 hours)

  • 1.5 litres of wine (53 ounces)
  • 1.14 litres of alcohol (40 ounces)
  • a combination of wine and liquor not exceeding a total of 1.14 litres (40 ounces)
  • 24 cans or bottles of beer or ale (355-millilitre or 12 ounces each with a maximum of  8.5 litres)

One of the following amounts of tobacco can be imported free of duty and taxes (if you have been away at least 48 hours)

  • 200 cigarettes (1 carton)
  • 50 cigars or cigarillos
  • 200 grams (7 ounces) of manufactured tobacco 
  • 200 tobacco sticks.

Food products

Canada has complex requirements, restrictions and limits on the importation of meat, eggs, dairy products, honey, fresh fruits and vegetables, and other food products from all over the world. For more information, visit the Canadian Food Inspection Agency Web site at

Plants and animals

Plants are potential carriers of insects and disease. For this reason, border services officers control the entry into Canada of plants, soil, sand or all other material in which vegetation or plants are rooted or wrapped. For more information, visit the Canadian Food Inspection Agency Web site at

For more information, visit the CBSA Web site at or contact the Border Information Service at 1-800-461-9999.

SOURCE Canada Border Services Agency

For further information: For further information:

Communications Division
Canada Border Services Agency
Quebec Region

Custom Packages

Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.

Start today.

CNW Membership

Fill out a CNW membership form or contact us at 1 (877) 269-7890

Learn about CNW services

Request more information about CNW products and services or call us at 1 (877) 269-7890