Save this summer in destinations that had average hotel prices decreases of up to 33 per cent last year
TORONTO, May 22, 2014 /CNW/ - Even if you don't love shopping, it's safe to say you still get a thrill from scoring a great deal on your purchase. The travel experts at Hotels.com™ want you to have that same experience when planning your summer vacation, so using their latest Hotel Price Index™ (HPI™), they've put together a list of visit-worthy destinations with the biggest hotel price drops in 2013, based on the average prices customers paid year-over-year.
"Choosing a cost-friendly destination could mean compromising on attractions and activities," says Taylor L. Cole, APR, travel expert for Hotels.com. "But if you look at cities that have experienced price decreases, you can get great value and still get the hotel room and trip that you want."
South Lake Tahoe, Calif., USA: -33%
- Water skiing, followed by a swim in the lake and some late night gambling - eclectic, but doable! Whatever your passion, you can get your fill where seasons are what you make them.
Nadi, Fiji: -31%
- Home to the largest Hindu temple in the southern Hemisphere, this spot may not have the dreamy beaches, but it's central and convenient for tours to surrounding attractions and islands.
Monte Carlo, Monaco: -29%
- If you're looking for luxury, look no further. Located on the French Riviera, it's been featured in blockbuster films (James Bond fans anyone?), has a world-famous casino and is home to many stars and is in the vicinity of royalty.
Turin, Italy: -22%
- Boasting several automobile headquarters, including Fiat, this city is the perfect fit for auto enthusiasts. It also has beautiful historic architecture and is known as Italy's chocolate capital - sounds sweet to us!
Warsaw, Poland: -18%
- If you appreciate architecture, you'll enjoy visiting the castles and churches which range in style from gothic to neoclassical. It's also a "green" city with many gardens and parks to explore.
York, United Kingdom: -18%
- Dating back to 71 AD, this city was once completely surrounded by walls used to defend the city and many of them are still standing. York also has medieval churches including the impressive York Minister, museums and, of course, pubs a plenty to take in depending on your favourite past times.
Monte Verde, Costa Rica: -15%
- Love nature? This town is popular for ecotourism and home to the Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve where visitors can experience the native species and even camp out overnight.
Stuttgart, Germany: -15%
- With castles, museums, theatres and world famous events like Volksfest, this city may not be as well known as Munich or Berlin but there is no shortage of attractions.
We've made it hard to pick just one place, so if you're planning a worldwide tour, consider signing up for the Welcome Rewards™ loyalty program so you'll get one free** night for every 10 stayed.
*The price listed beside each city represents the average hotel price paid by Canadian travellers per night in 2013 (excluding taxes and fees), according to the latest Hotel Price Index.
About the HPI
The HPI is based on bookings made on Hotels.com sites and prices shown are those actually paid by customers per room per night, excluding taxes and fees, rather than advertised rates. More than 150,000 properties around the world make up the sample set of hotels from which prices are taken. To access the full report, including detailed maps, colorful photos and a city-by-city breakdown, please visit: www.hotel-price-index.com/2014/spring/ca.
About Hotels.com (http://www.hotels.com)
Hotels.com (also known in Canada as Hotels.ca) is a leading online accommodation booking website with more than 290,000 properties around the world, ranging from international chains and all-inclusive resorts to local favourites and bed & breakfasts, together with all the information needed to book the perfect stay. Special apps for mobile phones and tablets can also be downloaded enabling customers to book on the go with access to 20,000 last minute deals.
**Your free night is good at any Welcome Rewards eligible property. The maximum value of your free night is the average daily rate of your ten (10) nights. Your free night does not include taxes and fees.
© 2014 Hotels.com, LP. Hotels.com, The Obvious Choice, Hotel Price Index, HPI, Welcome Rewards and the Hotels.com logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Hotels.com, LP in the U.S. and/or other countries. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners. CST # 2083949-50
Image with caption: "Whether you're travelling for sun or snow, South Lake Tahoe has attractions to satisfy both interests (CNW Group/Hotels.com)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20140522_C9358_PHOTO_EN_40607.jpg
For further information:
energi PR for Hotels.com
Phone: (416) 425-9143 ext. 19
Taylor L. Cole, APR
Hotels.com North America
Phone: (469) 335-8442