Eight awards handed out at the University of Guelph-Humber's Emerge Media Awards
TORONTO, March 23, 2018 /CNW/ - The best of Canadian student media was celebrated at the 2018 Emerge Media Awards. Now in its fourth year, the EMAs showcases the achievements of journalism, media studies and communications students in Canada. Emerge was launched in 2015 as the first and only national post-secondary media awards program in Canada.
The awards, administered by the University of Guelph-Humber, recognize the best writing, editing, videography, audio, digital design, communications and public relations done at the post-secondary level. This year, the EMAs attracted more than 250 submissions from universities and colleges from coast to coast.
The judging is conducted by an independent panel of industry representatives, including editors, broadcasters, producers, and other media professionals.
The winners of the 2018 awards are:
- Written Word: Josie Kao - University of Toronto - "Data In A Foreign Land"
- Audio Storytelling: Trent Erickson, Will Gordon, Cameron Honey, Aviva Jacob, Danielle McCreadie, Nermeen Ramadan, Jayde Tynes - University of Kings College - "What If The Halifax Explosion Never Happened?"
- Videography: Caitlin Taylor, Jennifer Ackerman, Janelle Blakley, Josh Diaz - University of Regina - "Crude Power: An Investigation into Oil, Money, and Influence in Saskatchewan"
- Multimedia Production: Jolene Rudisuela, Amy Simpson, Lexi Wright - Mount Royal University - "Closing Midfield"
- Photography: Cody Bonner - Mohawk College - "From Above"
- Public Relations: Jason Lau - McMaster University - "Canada is the world"
- Design-Print: Elham Numan, Pearl Cao, Piyumi Konara, Keith Cheng - University of Toronto - "The Varsity Fall Magazine: The Futures Issue"
- Design-Online: Seher Asaf, Francesca Bianco, Sophie Gray, Yusheng Cai, Haley Lewis, Emma Loy, Holly McKenzie-Sutter, Sharon Nadeem, Andrew Seal, Taranjit Singh, Alex Migdal and Anya Zoledziowski - University of British Columbia - Tém:éxw: "Stories Of Land"
The EMAs are held in conjunction with the Emerge Media Conference in Toronto. The one-day event allows young media professionals to explore and discuss current and emerging trends in the media industry. This year's speakers included Dave Bidini, author, musician and publisher and Angela Misri, Digital Director for the Walrus.
About the University of Guelph-Humber
Founded in 2002, the University of Guelph-Humber prides itself on its integration of theory and practical education in the classroom. Students earn an honours degree from the University of Guelph and a diploma from Humber College concurrently over four years, in one location. Learn more at guelphhumber.ca.
SOURCE University of Guelph-Humber
For further information: Media Contact: Shania Palmer email@example.com
About University of Guelph-Humber Founded in 2002, University of Guelph-Humber prides itself on its integration of theory and practical education in the classroom. Students earn an honours degree from the University of Guelph and a diploma from Humber College concurrently over four years, in one location. Through its seven undergraduate programs, University of Guelph-Humber offers its 5,000...