THORNHILL, ON, Dec. 12, 2013 /CNW/ - For thousands of travellers, this holiday season will be packed with scenic golf courses, outdoor adventures, sun-kissed beaches and family fun.
For the month of December, CAA South Central Ontario (CAA SCO) has received approximately 5,000 requests for TripTiks - customized maps and route planners to help drivers get where they are going safely.
Top three popular holiday driving destinations for 2013:
- South Carolina
Make travelling by car over the holidays easier with these stress-free tips:
- Ensure you have a clearly planned route with alternative roads
- Check all fluids and tire pressure on your car
- Plan in-car activities like playing cards, watching movies or listening to music to occupy kids
- Pack an emergency roadside kit including a fully charged cell phone
"Whether you are driving or flying this holiday season, don't forget to buy travel insurance because an unexpected trip to the emergency room or a visit to the doctor's office can be expensive," said Silvana Aceto, Media & PR Consultant, CAA SCO.
Before leaving on vacation, remember to also protect your home.
- Unplug appliances like coffee makers and toasters to ensure they don't cause a fire while you are away
- Don't leave keys on a hook by the door because this is the first place thieves look and your car could be stolen in addition to precious household items
- Ensure all windows and doors are closed and securely locked
- Suspend newspaper subscriptions and ask a friend, neighbour or relative to collect your mail
- Make sure your home looks lived in, have your driveway plowed and ask a neighbour to park in your driveway
- Shut off your water supply, and drain your pipes, or have a neighbour enter your home daily to ensure your furnace is working so your water pipes don't freeze and flood your house
- Use motion detector lights outdoors and light switch timers indoors
- Invest in a home alarm system
- After the holidays, dispose of empty gift packaging carefully so as not to advertise new household items
- Don't broadcast your travel plans on social media
CAA South Central Ontario is a not-for-profit auto club offering roadside services, automotive care, travel and insurance. There are more than 1.9 million CAA members in South Central Ontario and over 5.9 million members in Canada.
Follow @CAASCO_News on Twitter for regular updates on wait times, other news and information.
SOURCE: CAA South Central Ontario
For further information:
Media contact: Silvana Aceto, Media and PR Consultant, CAA SCO, [email protected], Office: (905) 771-3194, Cell: (416) 209-4930 or Jeff LeMoine, Communications Consultant, CAA SCO, [email protected], Office: (905) 771-4709, Cell: (416) 254-0641.