THORNHILL, ON, Nov. 22, 2017 /CNW/ - If you're planning on driving across the U.S. border for Black Friday, CAA South Central Ontario (CAA SCO) recommends putting travel insurance on the top of your road-trip checklist.
"Quick trips across the border for popular events like Black Friday can be an exciting experience, and making sure you are covered should anything happen is important," said Kaitlynn Furse, public relations manager, CAA SCO. "Travel medical insurance should always be a part of plans when travelling out of province to cover any medical expenses should unforeseen circumstances arise."
CAA SCO suggests the following cross-border travel tips:
- Purchase travel insurance even for a short shopping trip across the border. Twenty three per cent of travellers have required medical care while away on a trip*.
- Make sure your vehicle is road trip ready. Check your wiper blades and fluid levels. Test your battery and inspect your tires for any tears or bulges in the side wall.
- Pack a map as a back-up to your GPS. CAA offers maps and customized TripTik route planners to help get you where you are going safely.
- Be prepared for delays at border crossings. Before heading out check border wait times at http://travel.gc.ca/.
- Bring proper identification for yourself and any children traveling with you.
- Know how much you can bring back. For 48 hours or more, you can bring back goods, tax and duty-free, worth up to $800. For 24 hours or more, you can bring back goods, tax and duty-free, worth up to $200.
- Declare all purchases and have receipts ready at the border.
Six things to consider when purchasing travel insurance:
- Ask questions. Speak to an insurance advisor that understands your needs.
- Don't base your decision on price alone – consider if the coverage is right for you.
- Check with your insurance provider to see if you will be covered in case of an accident.
- Remember Ontario Health Insurance (OHIP) offers limited coverage for emergency medical expenses outside of the province.
- Consider an annual plan. CAA Insurance offers 4 and 8 Day Multi-Trip Medical plans.
- Read your policy carefully to understand the extent of the coverage you purchased.
CAA Travel Insurance offers multiple plans to suit your needs. For more information, speak to a travel insurance agent by phone at 1-800-437-8541, or visit a CAA Store near you.
CAA Travel Insurance is underwritten by Orion Travel Insurance Company. Certain terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions apply.
About CAA South Central Ontario
For over a hundred years, CAA has been helping Canadians stay mobile, safe and protected. CAA South Central Ontario is one of nine auto clubs across Canada providing roadside assistance, travel, insurance services and Member savings for our over 2 million Members.
* Source: The Travel Health Insurance Association of Canada (2015).
SOURCE CAA South Central Ontario
For further information: Kaitlynn Furse, PR Manager, P: (905) 771-3194, C: (647) 227-7559, E: firstname.lastname@example.org; Nadia Matos, PR Specialist, P: (905) 771-3058, C: (416) 523-0663, E: email@example.com