- Free tickets available as of Monday, February 27
- Exhibit features costumes, weaponry, props, photography and video from the set of HBO's epic fantasy Game of Thrones, including never-before-seen items
- Fans can have their picture taken sitting on the iconic Iron Throne
TORONTO, Feb. 22, 2012 /CNW Telbec/ - HBO Canada, a multiplex channel of Astral's The Movie Network (Eastern Canada) and Corus Entertainment's Movie Central (Western Canada), is joining forces with TIFF to offer the ultimate Spring Break escape - Game of Thrones: The Exhibition, a free, ten-day celebration of art and craftsmanship from the set of HBO's acclaimed smash hit series.
Located in the expansive main-floor HSBC Gallery at TIFF Bell Lightbox in Toronto, and designed and staged by TIFF's world-class exhibitions team, Game of Thrones: The Exhibition showcases a wealth of material from HBO's global production, including: six costumes; props symbolic of major plot twists; an assortment of weaponry, tableware and banners that illustrate the series' distinctive Houses; gorgeous still photography from Seasons 1 and 2; and behind-the-scenes videos of the designers and craftspeople who bring Westeros to life. Among the many highlights are: the never-before-seen costume of Melisandre, a major character new to Season 2; a dragon egg; the "Hand of the King" badge and the stag crown of Robert Baratheon.
The anchor to the exhibition is the infamous Iron Throne itself. Located in the RBC Lobby at TIFF Bell Lightbox, fans and passers-by alike will have the chance to be King or Queen for a day and be photographed with the Throne.
Game of Thrones: The Exhibition is a free, ticketed event. Fans are invited to reserve a free ticket to the exhibition starting Monday, February 27 at 10 am ET, either in-person at TIFF Bell Lightbox or by calling the TIFF Box Office at 416-599-TIFF/1-888-599-8433. Hours of operation for the exhibition are 12pm to 8pm daily, except on March 12: 12pm to 10pm; and March 13: 10am to 8pm. The exhibition is recommended for ages 14+. Tickets are limited at 4 per person. Full ticketing details available at tiff.net.
NOTE TO MEDIA: Advance media tours of Game of Thrones: The Exhibition will take place on Thursday, March 8, subject to availability. For more details, please contact the Media Relations team at HBO Canada (see below for contact information).
Additional Game of Thrones events at TIFF Bell Lightbox happening during Spring Break include:
- In Conversation With ... George R. R. Martin on Game of Thrones. Presented by Random House of Canada, HBO Canada and TIFF, this sold-out event on Monday, March 12 features bestselling author George R.R. Martin on-stage at TIFF Bell Lightbox with The Movie Network's own Teri Hart to discuss his inspirations, plans for future novels in the Ice and Fire cycle, and the series' transition from page to screen. Mr. Martin will be autographing his books after the event.
- Higher Learning: Master Class with George R.R. Martin. Presented by Random House of Canada, HBO Canada and TIFF's Higher Learning programme, post-secondary students and faculty are invited to join bestselling author George R.R. Martin at 9:30am on March 13 as he discusses his epic saga A Song of Ice and Fire and its adaptation to the small screen for HBO Canada's hit series Game of Thrones. Post-secondary students can claim a free ticket on the day of the event by showing their student ID at the TIFF Bell Lightbox Box Office. For more information, please email email@example.com.
- Game of Thrones fans can also visit the TIFF Shop for books and merchandise related to the series.
About Game of Thrones: Season 2
Premieres Sunday, April 1 at 9:00 p.m. ET/MT
HBO's epic fantasy series Game of Thrones kicks off its 10-episode second season. Based on the popular book series A Song of Ice and Fire, by George R.R. Martin, this Emmy® and Golden Globe®-winning fantasy series chronicles an epic struggle for power in a vast and violent fantasy kingdom. Among the returning members of the ensemble cast are Emilia Clarke, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Emmy® and Golden Globe® winner Peter Dinklage, Michelle Fairley, Lena Headey and Kit Harington. The series is Executive Produced by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.
About HBO Canada
HBO Canada is a multiplex channel offered by Astral's The Movie Network (Eastern Canada) and Corus Entertainment's Movie Central (Western Canada). HBO Canada brings Canadians the current slate of signature dramatic programs for which HBO is known, together with new and never-before-seen programming including comedy series, live specials, sporting events, behind-the-scenes content and titles from HBO's extensive library - all in an uncut and commercial-free environment. HBO Canada is offered in high definition on HBO Canada HD and programming is accessible on demand and online where available by service provider. For more information, please visit www.hbocanada.com.
The Movie Network is a member of the Astral family. Astral Media Inc. (TSX : ACM.A/ACM.B) is one of Canada's largest media companies. It operates several of the country's most popular pay and specialty television, radio, out-of-home advertising and interactive media properties. Astral plays a central role in community life across the country by offering diverse, rich and vibrant programming that meets the tastes and needs of consumers and advertisers. To learn more about Astral, visit astral.com.
Movie Central is owned by Corus Entertainment Inc. (CJR.B), a Canadian-based media and entertainment company. Corus is a market leader in specialty television and radio with additional assets in pay television, television broadcasting, children's book publishing and children's animation. Experience Corus on the web at www.corusent.com.
TIFF is a charitable cultural organization whose mission is to transform the way people see the world through film. An international leader in film culture, TIFF projects include the annual Toronto International Film Festival in September; TIFF Bell Lightbox, which features five cinemas, major exhibitions, and learning and entertainment facilities; and innovative national distribution program Film Circuit. The organization generates an annual economic impact of $170 million CAD. TIFF Bell Lightbox is generously supported by contributors including Founding Sponsor Bell, the Province of Ontario, the Government of Canada, the City of Toronto, the Reitman Family (Ivan Reitman, Agi Mandel and Susan Michaels), The Daniels Corporation, Major Sponsor and official bank RBC, and Blackberry. For more information, visit tiff.net.
Funding for In Conversation With... is provided by The Brian Linehan Endowment Fund.
TIFF is generously supported by Lead Sponsor Bell, Major Sponsor RBC, and Major Supporters the Government of Canada, the Government of Ontario, and the City of Toronto.
For further information:
The Movie Network (Eastern Canada)
Movie Central (Western Canada)
For more information about TIFF, contact the Communications Department at 416-934-3200 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.