Annual Survey† Reveals New Adventurous Ways Canadians Love Their Cereal
MISSISSAUGA, ON, March 6, 2019 /CNW/ - In celebration of National Cereal Day on Thursday, March 7, 2019, a recent survey† by Kellogg Canada Inc. reveals that Canadians continue to think outside-the-cereal-box when it comes to their cereal creations. Experimenters of flavour and embracers of the unconventional, nearly 90% of Canadians continue to be cereal eaters, and approximately one-in-four Canadians eat cereal more than three times per week.
This year's cereal survey served up spoonfuls of cereal surprises:
- Nearly 40% of Canadians are nocturnal cereal eaters, preferring their cereal as a late-night snack
- Canadians are becoming more health-conscious in their cereal selections, with 61% saying nutrition is a key factor in their cereal selections
- Millennials are the least likely to be milk-and-cereal purists, with 41% choosing milk alternatives to top their bowls, and 21% opting for flavoured milk
- 5% of Canadians merge their morning favourites, mixing cereal and coffee together
"If there's one thing we've learned from this year's National Cereal Day survey, it's that we continue to be a nation of cereal lovers. Whether challenging traditional flavour profiles, customizing our bowls to meet individual taste preferences, or simply enjoying cereal as an anytime snack, Canadians' love of cereal is undeniable," says Lores Tomé, Director, Communications and Corporate Affairs, Kellogg Canada Inc. "At Kellogg, we are proud to offer a range of delicious and nutritious cereal options as diverse as the ways in which Canadians choose to enjoy them."
Spice it Up!
Canadians aren't afraid to challenge their palette when it comes to their cereal consumption:
- Nearly two-thirds of Canadians are willing to try different flavour profiles in their cereal
- Millennials are spearheading the unconventional cereal movement, with 75% indicating they would try new spices in their cereal (28% would add pomegranate molasses, and 16% would try turmeric)
- 52% of Canadians would add cinnamon to their cereal, and one in five are open to trying even bolder flavours such as crystalized ginger or candied lemon
From coast-to-coast, Canadians have a soft spot for cereal – we never want it left on its own:
- 44% of Canadians pair their cereal with fresh fruit;
- 26% top it off with yogurt;
- 25% prefer to add some texture with dried fruit;
- 22% love the healthy crunch that comes from nuts and seeds; and,
- even the most outrageous pairings aren't off the table, with 1% of Canadians saying they'd mix in bacon, BBQ sauce, ketchup, and even soy sauce!
Cereal Creativity from Coast-to-Coast
True to its cultural diversity, Canadian provinces have distinct cereal preferences:
- 85% of Manitobans say taste is the most important factor
- 42% of Albertans are likely to sub in a milk alternative
- 30% of Atlantic Canadians enjoy a bowl of cereal three times per week
- 26% of les Québécois sweeten their cereal with maple syrup - nearly double the national average
- Ontarians are most likely to look for versatility in their bowl, such as recipe potential
- Saskatchewanians eat cereal as an anytime favourite, from breakfast through to a late-night snack; and,
- British Columbians are most likely to maintain a breakfast-only affair with cereal
This March 7th, think outside-the-cereal-box and share your adventurous cereal creations on social using the hashtag #NationalCerealDay.
ABOUT KELLOGG CANADA INC.
Driven to enrich and delight the world through foods and brands that matter, Kellogg Canada is the leading producer of ready-to-eat cereal in Canada. Every day, our beloved brands nourish families so they can flourish and thrive. These include All-Bran*, Kellogg's Corn Flakes*, Corn Pops*, Eggo*, Froot Loops*, Kellogg's Frosted Flakes*, Kashi*, Kellogg's Two Scoops Raisin Bran*, Mini-Wheats*, Nutri-Grain*, Pop-Tarts*, Pringles*, Rice Krispies*, Special K* and Vector*. And we're a company with a heart and soul, committing to help create 3 billion Better Days by 2025 through our Breakfasts for Better Days global purpose platform. To learn more about our responsible business leadership, foods that delight and how we strive to make a difference in our communities around the world, visit www.kelloggcompany.com. To learn more about Kellogg Canada's efforts in these areas, please visit www.kelloggs.ca.
© 2019, Trademark of Kellogg Company used under license by Kellogg Canada Inc.
† ABOUT THE CEREAL SURVEY From February 25th to February 26th 2019 an online survey was conducted among 1,318 randomly selected cereal-eating Canadian adults who are Maru Voice Canada panelists. Discrepancies in or between totals are due to rounding.
SOURCE Kellogg Canada Inc.
For further information: Christina Miller, Strategic Objectives, 416-366-7735 x290, [email protected]