MONTREAL, Aug 12, 2015 /CNW Telbec/ - Consumers asked for them and we have them! Starting today, IGA is proud to offer odd-looking fruit and vegetables in stores throughout the province. Six product varieties from Quebec will be available in all their imperfect glory for a period of six weeks at all IGA supermarkets. This campaign aims to meet the demand of so many Quebecers who wish to make responsible choices by purchasing less perfect-looking, local produce that has the same great taste as its prettier counterparts.
Nine reasons to love them
Appearances can be deceiving and these odd-looking fruit and vegetables prove it:
- Strictly Quebec-grown produce
- An ideal selling format for making homemade smoothies, juice, compotes, soup, sauces, or marinades during the harvest season
- Six varieties: cucumbers, carrots, tomatoes, beets, sweet peppers, and apples, based on season and availability
- Distributed for six weeks to 290 stores throughout the province from Abitibi to the Magdalen Islands
- 30% less expensive on average than standard produce
- Same taste and nutritional value as standard produce
- A quick, simple way to stock up for the winter
- Excellent ingredients for learning to prepare new recipes with family or friends
- Offered at the IGA online store IGA.net
Enjoy it as part of a healthy diet
Numerous recipes have been inspired by these six vegetables and fruits, and each one will be featured in the IGA flyer during the six week promotion. Among the many possible culinary uses, we suggest muffins, spaghetti sauce, pickled veggies, or relish!
The joy of eating better
This promotion is a reflection of The Joy of Eating Better, launched by IGA in May 2014 to inspire Quebecers to eat better. How? By encouraging them to make responsible choices, eat healthier, discover local and international flavours, and cook differently and more often.
IGA is the largest group of independent grocers in Canada and its presence in Quebec dates to 1953. All 290 IGA retailers are constantly seeking new ways to serve their customers better. The IGA banner includes IGA, IGA extra, IGA express, and IGA mini. IGA is the only group of grocers to offer customers the opportunity to collect AIR MILES® reward miles.
Image with caption: "Odd-looking fruit and vegetables arrived at 290 IGA supermarkets! (CNW Group/IGA)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20150812_C5449_PHOTO_EN_476480.jpg
For further information: Laurie Fossat, Communications Advisor, [email protected], 514-324-1010, ext. 2158, Cell. 514 234-0535