Popular weather app for Android tablets and smartphones revamped with new features and richer content
TORONTO, Dec. 23, 2014 /CNW/ - Today, The Weather Network proudly announced updated versions of its popular application for weather fans using Android phones and tablets. Additional detailed weather information and new sidebar navigation on the tablet version makes it even easier for users to access their favourite content at the touch of a button and help them better plan their day.
Millions of Canadians have grown to depend on the user-friendly design and reliable information provided by The Weather Network app and now have a chance to enjoy an improved Android version on even more mobile devices, as it now supports seven to 10.5-inch tablets.
"The Weather Network team always strives to improve our users' experience and the redesign of our Android tablet app and new features on the Android phone app demonstrate this," said Gita Ashar, Director of Mobile Applications and Emerging Technologies at The Weather Network. "With an improved, interactive user interface and access to even more content, users can easily find valuable weather information."
The updated Android phone app includes: detailed weather and radar for Canada and U.K. users; pollen, air quality and UV reports; Live Active weather streams, local news and videos.
The Weather Network's Android tablet app has undergone major performance enhancements, design changes and new features, including:
- Updated user experience and sidebar navigation – An interactive user interface and clean design provides an at-a-glance view of current, short-term and long-term weather
- Supports seven to 10.5-inch tablet devices – Users can now enjoy The Weather Network content on even larger Android tablets
- Additional 14-day forecast detail – Now showing day parts (morning, afternoon, evening and overnight) for the next seven days and day/night forecasts for days eight to 14
- Multiple map layers now include traffic flow and lightning for North American locations – New layers allow users to see traffic flow (provided by Beat the Traffic) and lightning activity for locations based in in North America), radar and satellite layers are available for Canada, U.S. and the U.K.
- Richer news and video content – Live streaming, more active weather coverage and newly added feature video content
- Share functionality – Allows users to share the content on the screen with friends and family via email, social channels and text messages
- Manual refresh – In addition to an automatic refresh, users can tap the refresh button on any screen to manually refresh the data and ensure they're viewing the most up-to-date information
The Weather Network App for Android devices is available for free in Google Play at play.google.com.
About Pelmorex Media Inc.
Celebrating 25 years, Pelmorex Media Inc. is the parent company of The Weather Network, MétéoMédia, Beat the Traffic and Eltiempo.es. Pelmorex operates in Canada, US, Spain and the UK. The Weather Network and its French counterpart MétéoMédia are Canada's most popular weather and information services on TV, web and smartphone apps. Pelmorex owns Eltiempo, Spain's leading multi-platform weather information provider. With strong roots in weather, we continue to leverage technology and science to help consumers plan their day by expanding the Pelmorex family to include Beat the Traffic, a leading multi-platform brand that finds the fastest route from point A to point B. Pelmorex also operates Canada's National Alerting Aggregation and Dissemination System (NAADS) which aggregates and distributes emergency alerts issued by authorized government agencies. Pelmorex has been named Canada's 50 Best Managed Companies for eight consecutive years.
SOURCE: The Weather Network
For further information: Lauren Grant, High Road, 416-644-2237; [email protected]