LAVAL, QC, Jan. 15, 2015 /CNW Telbec/ - The astounding generosity of the STL's clients allowed us to gather nearly $9,000 in donations on December 24 and 31 when the fares on our network of buses was free. In exchange for the waved fare, riders were asked to make a cash donation to the STL's Boomerang Committee whose mission is to provide breakfasts for Laval's children in need in collaboration with the Centre de bénévolat de Laval.
Founded in 2002 by STL employees, the Boomerang Committee organizes philanthropic activities for a good cause. The Committee members chose the Centre de bénévolat de Laval's Programme des déjeuners-collations because helping to feed underprivileged children also helps them to succeed in school and it contributes to the socio-economic development of Laval's citizens.
"This employee-led initiative has a direct impact on the community. Our employees donate their time out of dedication and generosity. The donations made by our riders on December 24 and 31 are also an excellent way for them to participate in helping to improve the quality of life in Laval. I would like to thank all our clients and employees who have actively participated in improving the lives of the people of Laval. We are steadily reaching our common sense goal" said David De Cotis, President of the STL's Board of Directors.
Offering a free Holiday fare on our buses is an excellent way for the STL to thank the people of Laval for their loyalty throughout the year. It is also a great way to fight drinking and driving and help ensure that everyone gets home safe and sound over the Holiday period.
The STL would like to thank its riders for their generosity we are already looking forward to next year!
The STL, taking action
- The STL is responsible for over 20 million trips annually.
- The STL has rolled out the STL Synchro system to keep its clients informed in real time about its schedules and buses.
- The STL's fare policy is geared to encourage families to use public transit: an adult who pays a regular fare during the week or on statutory holidays can be accompanied by up to five children under the age of 12 for free. This policy is also applicable on smog days between July 1st and Labour Day. The $1 reduced fare on smog days during the summer period is a first in Quebec.
- The STL has partnered with the Association québécoise de lutte contre la pollution atmosphérique and with Communauto.
- We use our Facebook and Twitter accounts to share our news and travel notices.
- We created My STL to offer our clients the opportunity to receive updates about their regular bus lines and to find out what's new at the STL.
- Since the launch of our Operational support and user information system in 2009, we have increased our punctuality rate to nearly 90 %.
- The STL has received several awards and distinctions including the AQTR'S Grand prix d'excellence en transport en commun in 2010, which solidified our reputation for excellence.
- In 2011, the STL took the AQTR Communication Grand Public prize for its smog alert program.
- In May 2012, the STL received the ACTU, le Prix de leadership des entreprises in the Innovation category for the Clic carpooling project.
- In May 2012, the STL launched its new STL Sustainable mobility solution for businesses and organizations that are conscious of managing the travels of their employees more efficiently.
- In November 2012, the STL signed the International Union of Public Transport's (IUPT) Charter on Sustainable Development.
- In March 2013, the STL became the first transportation company in Quebec to be a certified "Healthy Enterprise"!
- In May 2013, the AQTr awarded the STL their Coup de cœur du jury d'honneur award for two projects: The Operational support and user information system for paratransit (OSIS) and CLIC the electric carpooling project launched in conjunction with the AMT.
- In June 2013, the CUTA awarded the STL with two Corporate Leadership Awards: one in the Innovation category for its operational support and user information system for paratransit (OSIS) and other in the Marketing and Communications category for the "Let's Develop Together" contest.
- In November 2013, the STL received the Institut d'administration publique du Québec's Excellence award in the "e-Government" category for its real time operational support and user information system for paratransit.
- In 2014, the STL received the Prix Coup de cœur du jury d'honneur de l'AQTr for its Projet d'expérimentation d'un bus électrique à recharge lente bus project.
- In October 2014, the STL was given special mention in the sustainable development category for its real time operational support and user information system for paratransit (OSIS).
- In October 2014, the STL received the ATUQ Prix Reconnaissance for the development and implementation of the new Horizon 65+ fare.
- In October 2014, Recyc-Québec honoured the STL with a Special Mention in its Ici on Recycle program.
SOURCE Société de transport de Laval
For further information: Marie-Céline Bourgault, Communications and Marketing Director, 450 662-5429, [email protected]