The SEEDS OF CHANGE® brand announces 1% of sales will go to support community gardens in Canada
TORONTO, April 19, 2016 /CNW/ - SEEDS OF CHANGE®, a certified organic rice and ancient grain brand, launched its Grant Program today - donating one percent of its net sales to support community gardens across Canada. Working with Evergreen, a leader in urban sustainability, the SEEDS OF CHANGE® brand has selected one garden in each province and every territory for a total of 12 across the country. Celebrity chef and organic market gardener Jamie Kennedy was on hand to make the announcement.
"Community gardens play such an important role in helping Canadians live and eat better. Not only do these local heroes feed their neighbourhoods with fresh, organic and locally grown produce, but they also deliver valuable lessons in understanding the origins of the food that we eat," said Jamie Kennedy. "We're so lucky in this country that we have an abundance of local food available to us and I'm thrilled to work with the SEEDS OF CHANGE® brand to elevate the profile of community gardens and hopefully encourage more Canadians to try gardening themselves."
Kyle Lyons, Segment Director for SEEDS OF CHANGE® explained, "the brand gives back one percent of profits globally, and thousands of organizations around the world have benefitted from the Grant Program since it was created in 2006. This marks the second year we've had the product in Canada and this year we will see our support grow significantly as more and more Canadian families discover and enjoy the product. We want Canadians to know that when you buy a SEEDS OF CHANGE® product, you know that one percent of sales is going to community gardens across the country."
What's more, every ingredient in SEEDS OF CHANGE® products are sourced from where it grows locally around the world and it contains no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives. SEEDS OF CHANGE® products are Certified Organic by QAI, vegetarian and some flavours are gluten-free and vegan.
The recipients for the Grant Program are:
- Vancouver, British Columbia - Grandview Woodland Food Connection: Britannia Wild Minds
- Calgary, Alberta - Parkdale Community Association: West Bank Garden Bed Project
- Regina, Saskatchewan - North Central Community Association: North Central Community Gardens
- Winnipeg, Manitoba - Immigrant Integration Farming Community Co-op: Rainbow Community Gardens
- Toronto, Ontario – Waterfront Neighbourhood Centre: Community Connect Food Gardens
- Montréal, Quebec – Santropol Rouland : Roots & Shoots
- Halifax, Nova Scotia – Bayers Westwood Family Resource Centre: HUGS Community Garden
- Shippagan, New Brunswick - Jardin communautaire de Shippagan: Amélioration du jardin communautaire de Shippagan
- Eastport, Newfoundland – Eastport Peninsula Regional Recreation Committee: Eastport Peninsula Intergenerational Community Garden
- Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island – PEI Farm Centre Association: Legacy Garden
- Yellowknife, Northwest Territories – Trails End Community Association: Trails End Community Garden Improvements
- Yellowknife, Northwest Territories – Northlands Community Garden Society: Northlands Community Garden Expansion
"Today over 85% of Canadians and half of the world's population live in urban areas. At Evergreen, we believe in creating greener, more sustainable cities and we're thrilled to have partnered with the SEEDS OF CHANGE® brand to deliver their Grant Program, " said Geoff Cape, CEO of Evergreen. "This Grant Program will contribute thousands of dollars to community garden projects across Canada. These funds will help support the work of dedicated, non-profit community groups who are getting their hands dirty and making a real difference in their communities."
To learn more about this year's grant recipients, community gardens in Canada and the SEEDS OF CHANGE® brand visit our Seed of Change Canada Facebook page.
About SEEDS OF CHANGE®
The SEEDS OF CHANGE® brand was founded in 1989 by passionate gardeners with a vision to make organically grown seeds available to gardeners and farmers, while preserving countless heirloom seed varieties in danger of being lost to the "advances" of modern industrial agriculture. In 1997 our business expanded to also include Organic Food inspired by the notion that great taste and sustainability go hand in hand. We now offer a wide variety of Ready to Heat organic Rice and Grain varieties. For more information about the SEEDS OF CHANGE® brand visit seedsofchange.ca.
Since 1991, Evergreen, a national not-for-profit, has been inspiring action to green cities. Our belief in the power of people to enact positive change and restore the natural health of communities is helping create healthier cities—now and for the future. Learn more at evergreen.ca
® Registered Trademarks. © Mars Canada Inc., 2016
SOURCE Seeds of Change Canada
Image with caption: "Seeds of Change (CNW Group/Seeds of Change Canada)". Image available at: https://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20160419_C8063_PHOTO_EN_668171.jpg
For further information: Bri Bijman - Brianna.firstname.lastname@example.org 416-206-5242