TORONTO, Nov. 14, 2018 /CNW/ - The Printing House™ (TPH®) today topped the list of North America's Most Forest-Friendly Printers on global environmental not-for-profit, Canopy's 2018 Blueline Ranking of the sustainability performance of North America's largest printers.
"We are proud to reach number one on the Blueline Ranking but we're not done yet. We remain dedicated to raising the bar for environmental stewardship and challenge our industry partners to step up their own earth-friendly initiatives," says Andrew O'Born, Vice President of Business Development.
The Blueline Ranking rates major printers on a set of 45 key sustainability criteria such as the use of papers that are free of ancient and endangered forest fiber, supporting the advancement of conservation solutions, and bringing a high degree of transparency to their sustainability initiatives.
TPH's Sustainability Efforts at a Glance
- 92.9% of the paper TPH purchased in 2017 was environmentally certified, with 90.7% of its paper certified by the Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC® C019596).
- TPH's head office uses 100% recycled Rolland Enviro Copy paper in all of its printers instead of virgin paper, saving:
- 17 trees
- 62,077 litres of water
- 761 kilograms of solid waste
- 2,500 kilograms of air emissions
- TPH offers Anicolor Inking Technology – a print technology that creates 90% less waste than traditional pre-press processes and consumes ink at a much lower level during printing.
- Forest Farmer™ partnership lets TPH offset its environmental footprint and helps restore Canadian forests. For each new Corporate Account opened, a tree is planted in a Canadian forest. As of November 2018, more than 5,164 trees have been planted.
- To ensure transparency, TPH publishes its annual Sustainability Report highlighting environmental initiatives and results achieved during the year.
- For two consecutive years, TPH has been named one of Canada's Greenest Employers by Mediacorp Canada Inc.
- Other environmental initiatives
- The roof of the TPH Head Office is home to eight honeybee hives as part of Toronto Bee Rescue's Corporate Hive Hosting Program.
- TPH Head Office is bullfrogpowered with 100% green electricity.
- TPH is an active member and corporate partner (since 2015) of WWF-Canada helping to conserve our planet's natural environment, and participating in events including the WWF's CN Tower Climb for Nature and the Kids' Run for Nature. TPH's Head Office also participates in the WWF-Canada's Smart Office Challenge.
"The top companies highlighted in the Blueline Ranking demonstrate leadership and dedication to reduce the environmental impact of an industry traditionally viewed as having a high carbon footprint. We congratulate TPH on topping the Blueline Ranking this year! We are greatly encouraged by the commitment shown by TPH and other innovators in the print industry to meet their clients' print needs whilst also addressing species decline and climate change." - Canopy's Executive Director, Nicole Rycroft.
"At TPH, we believe that doing the right thing is good for business. Reducing the carbon footprint of our printing practices, using sustainable papers and inks, and dedicating ourselves to a range of environmental and charitable organizations are a few small ways we can do our part to protect our planet." – Jamie O'Born, TPH President.
"Bullfrog prefers to do business with those organizations helping to create a cleaner, healthier environment with 100% green energy. TPH's record of environmental initiatives – which include choosing green energy – combined with their quick service and high-quality work are just a few of the reasons why we choose them for many of our printing needs." – Joe Gravel, Creative Services Manager, Bullfrog Power.
"Our planet is losing biodiversity at an alarming rate. WWF-Canada is grateful for TPH's ongoing efforts to reverse wildlife loss and we commend them for their leading sustainable paper sourcing commitments. We're proud to work with companies like TPH that take positive steps to protect at-risk species and preserve our planet for future generations." – Kathrin Majic, Director, Corporate Partnerships, WWF-Canada.
About Canopy Blueline Rankings
Canopy is a not-for-profit environmental organization dedicated to protecting forests, species and climate. Canopy collaborates with more than 750 companies to develop innovative solutions, make their supply chains more sustainable and help protect our world's remaining ancient and endangered forests. Canopy's partners include H&M, Sprint, Penguin Random House, Zara, TC Transcontinental, The Guardian and Scholastic. Canopy's work relies on the support of individual donors who share our passion for the planet. www.canopyplanet.org
About The Printing House
The Printing House has been a recognized leader and innovator in the printing industry for 57 years. Specializing in short run, on demand printing, with over 70 Company-owned locations from coast to coast, TPH consistently meets and exceeds customer expectations for service, quality and speed. For more information, visit www.tph.ca.
SOURCE The Printing House Limited
For further information: Andrew O'Born, Vice President of Business Development, The Printing House, 416-538-5004 / [email protected]