PLYMOUTH, Minn., April 21, 2015 /CNW/ -- The Mosaic Company (NYSE: MOS) is recognized as No. 40 on Corporate Responsibility Magazine's 16th annual 100 Best Corporate Citizens list, regarded as the world's top corporate responsibility ranking based on publicly available information. This is the sixth year in a row that Mosaic has been named to the list and an improvement over its 2014 rank of No. 53.
Mosaic's scores on 303 data points in seven categories, including environment, human rights, employee relations and philanthropy, are in the top 50 of Russell 1000 Index companies which are evaluated for the CR100 list.
"Each year, Mosaic is driven to keep improving—because we strive to be the world's leading crop nutrition company in all that we do. We work hard to ensure that our standards for excellence and performance are top-of-the-line. And sustainability and responsibility play a significant role in our global efforts," said Jim Prokopanko, President and Chief Executive Officer of The Mosaic Company. "Thanks to the integrity and great work of our employees, Mosaic is widely recognized as a responsible corporate citizen, a committed environmental steward, a respected community partner and a great place to work."
Mosaic's leading sustainability and social responsibility practices and performance:
- Shareholder value – Mosaic returned $3.2 billion to shareholders in 2014 through share repurchases and dividends.
- Commitment to transparency – In 2014, Mosaic reported to an A level of disclosure via the Global Reporting Initiative. The company also achieved positions on the CDP S&P 500 Climate Disclosure Leadership Index and CDP S&P 500 Climate Performance Leadership Index in recognition of its 2014 CDP disclosure score of 99 out of 100 in carbon disclosure, and grade of A in carbon performance, based on an A – E range.
- Safety – Mosaic's commitment to safety permeates its company culture, and extends to full-time and contract employees. In 2014, the company achieved its best safety performance for the third year in a row.
- Environmental sustainability – In 2014, Mosaic saved 1.6 million gigajoules (GJ) of energy companywide through continuous improvements; it produced approximately 7 million GJ of energy through cogeneration, which is the conversion of waste heat to energy, in its North American operations; and it reused or recycled approximately 90 percent of water used in its Florida phosphate operations and Saskatchewan potash operations.
- Community investment – Mosaic aims to invest 1 percent of profits on a three-year rolling average in food, water and local community organizations and initiatives. The Mosaic Company, The Mosaic Company Foundation and The Mosaic Institute in Brazil together invested $17 million in 2014.
The methodology for generating the 100 Best Corporate Citizens list is governed by the Ratings and Rankings Thought Leadership Council of the Corporate Responsibility Association. Learn more about Mosaic's ongoing sustainability efforts at http://www.mosaicco.com/our_responsibility.htm.
About The Mosaic Company
The Mosaic Company is one of the world's leading producers and marketers of concentrated phosphate and potash crop nutrients. Mosaic is a single-source provider of phosphate and potash fertilizers and feed ingredients for the global agriculture industry. More information on the company is available at www.mosaicco.com.
SOURCE The Mosaic Company
For further information: Media: Heather Mueller, The Mosaic Company, 763.577.8271, [email protected], Investors: Laura Gagnon, The Mosaic Company, 763.577.8213, [email protected], http://www.mosaicco.com