LAVAL, QC, Dec. 5, 2013 /CNW Telbec/ - It is with great pride that the Société de transport de Laval was given special mention in the e-Government category (Gouvernement en ligne) for its real time operational support and user information system for paratransit (OSIS) as a part of the Institut de l'administration publique du Québec's (IAPQ) 2013 Award of Excellence which was announced on November 27 at the Palais des congrès in Québec City.
This is a prestigious recognition for the STL and it is the third public organization to laud the project in 2013. Last May, the Association québécoise des transports (AQTr) gave the OSIS adapted transportation program its 2013 Coup de Coeur award at its Grands Prix d'excellence du transport and the Canadian Urban Transit Association (CUTA) give it their 2013 Innovation Award at their annual congress in June.
The e-Government Prize recognizes accomplishments that make the most of information and communications technologies that facilitate access to improved, integrated and citizen-focused services provided at all times and for all locations. The IAPQ's special mention recognizes OSIS for its ability to communicate with adapted transportation vehicles in real time and for its interface which can make changes to the route when necessary.
The system also allows for communication with clients by means of a telephone call that notifies them that the vehicle will be arriving shortly. This innovation drastically cuts down on delays and waiting times.
Mr. Sylvain Yelle, Senior Director of Operations, is very pleased with this recognition: « OSIS has allowed us to improve the quality of life of our users and it also eases the workload of our drivers. The entire adapted transportation team has put their heart and soul into developing a solution that responds to the needs of everyone. The STL has truly shown its dynamism and once again, it has gone above and beyond the expectations of our clients on both the regular and adapted transportation networks. »
The STL's partners, Autocar Chartrand which has 19 minibuses and a call centre, Coop Taxi of Laval, which has over 150 regular and accessible taxis, and the Association Lavalloise pour le Transport Adapté (ALTA) have contributed greatly to the implementation of this project over the past year. They have helped us to make our services as efficient as possible and they have contributed to improving the quality of information offered to our clients.
« We do our very best to be attentive to the needs and demands of our clients. This real time system has allowed us to put technology to use once again for the benefit of our clients in a logical, creative and efficient manner. » said Mr. David De Cotis, Chairman of the Board of the STL, expressing his gratitude for the honour given by the IAPQ.
The STL, taking action
- The STL is responsible for over 20 million trips annually.
- The STL has rolled out the STL Synchro system to keep its clients informed in real time about its schedules and buses.
- The STL's fare policy is geared to encourage families to use public transit: an adult who pays a regular fare during the week or on statutory holidays can be accompanied by up to five children under the age of 12 for free. This policy is also applicable on smog days between July 1st and Labour Day. The $1 reduced fare on smog days during the summer period is a first in Quebec.
- The STL has partnered with the Association québécoise de lutte contre la pollution atmosphérique, Communauto and the Réseau de covoiturage to encourage the use of sustainable transportation in Laval.
- We are using our Facebook and Twitter accounts to share our news and travel notices.
- We created My STL to offer our clients the opportunity to receive updates about their regular bus lines and to find out what's new at the STL.
- Since the launch of our Operational support and user information system in 2009, we have increased our punctuality rate to nearly 90 %.
- The STL has received several awards and distinctions including the AQTr'S Grand prix d'excellence en transport en commun in 2010, which solidified our reputation for excellence.
- In 2011, the STL took the AQTr Communication Grand Public prize for its Smog alert program.
- In May 2012, the STL received the CUTA Prix de leadership des entreprises in the Innovation category for the CLIC carpooling project.
- In May 2013, the AQTr awarded the STL their Coup de cœur du jury d'honneur award for two projects: The Operational support and user information system for paratransit (OSIS) and CLIC the electric carpooling project launched in conjunction with the AMT.
- In June 2013, CUTA honoured the STL with two Corporate Leadership Awards: one in the Innovation category for our Operational support and user information system for paratransit (OSIS) and the other in the Marketing and Communications category for the "Let's Develop Together" contest!
- In May 2012, the STL launched its new STL Sustainable mobility solution for businesses and organizations that are conscious of managing the travels of their employees more efficiently.
Image with caption: "From left to right : Sylvain Yelle, Senior Director of Operations, STL; Guy Picard, General Manager, STL; Doris Clément, Head of Paratransit Services, STL; David De Cotis, Chairman of the Board, STL (CNW Group/Société de transport de Laval)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20131205_C8087_PHOTO_EN_34527.jpg
SOURCE: Société de transport de Laval
For further information:
Communications and marketing Director
Société de transport de Laval