GASPÉSIE, QC, Dec. 17, 2018 /CNW/ - Canada's fish and seafood sector is an integral part of the economic and social fabric of many coastal communities across Quebec. That is why the Government of Canada and the Government of Quebec are working together to modernize the sector.
Today, the Minister of National Revenue, the Honourable Diane Lebouthillier, on behalf of the Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard, the Honourable Jonathan Wilkinson, along with the Premier of Quebec, Mr. François Legault, and the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food of Quebec, Mr. André Lamontagne, announced the upcoming launch of the Quebec Fisheries Fund (QFF), a five-year program that will provide $42.8 million in funding to the sector. The federal government will contribute $30 million, and $12.8 million will be provided by the government of Quebec.
The QFF will focus on growing opportunities and increasing value for sustainably sourced, high quality fish and seafood products. Investments flowing from the QFF will position the fish and seafood sector in Quebec for long-term sustainable growth.
Eligible projects must focus on:
- Innovation – to support research and development of new innovations that contribute to the sustainability of the fish and seafood sector, and to create partnerships and networks that aim to promote and encourage innovation in the sector;
- Infrastructure – to adapt new technologies, processes, or equipment to improve the effectiveness and sustainability of the fish and seafood sector; and
- Science Partnerships – fisheries and aquaculture industry based partnerships with academia and institutions to enhance knowledge and understanding of the impacts of changing oceanographic conditions and sustainable harvesting technology.
In the coming weeks and months, the Government of Canada and the Government of Quebec will engage with a broad range of industry representatives, Indigenous peoples, non-government organizations, and the science and academic communities in Quebec. This engagement will continue throughout the life of the program in order to inform investment priorities and identify opportunities and potential partners.
"The Quebec Fisheries Fund is a big step forward for supporting the fish and seafood sector in our Quebec's fishing communities. It is important for us to support the fishing sector because it is not only a crucial source of good jobs in our coastal communities, therefore vital for fish harvesters and their families, but it is also at the very core of the economy of our regions."
The Honourable Jonathan Wilkinson, Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard
"Today is a great day for the fish and seafood sector in Quebec. Indeed, this sector is an important economic driving force for our beautiful region of Gaspésie and Les Îles-de-la-Madeleine. That is why our government is proud to invest $30 million to support local projects, which will allow the fishing industry to create jobs and to grow sustainably. I am confident that the Fisheries Fund will be a model of success and collaboration between the two orders of government, for the benefit of the regions of Quebec."
The Honourable Diane Lebouthillier, Minister of National Revenue
"The investment announced today will help developing innovative projects and creating better paid jobs in the region. This funding will also help our businesses to enhance their competitivity and to take advantage of existing opportunities. It is crucial for us to represent our interests with the federal government in this matter. Today, this has been done. We deliver the goods to our fish harvesters and producers. "
Mr. François Legault, Premier of Quebec
"This funding is a priority for the economy of eastern Quebec. For our government, it was essential that the Quebec industry of commercial fisheries and aquaculture has access to the same financial support than other provinces. It is therefore with great pleasure that today, I am announcing the Quebec contribution to the Fisheries Fund. It is indeed great news for the marine communities of Quebec."
Mr. André Lamontagne, Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food of Quebec
- The Government of Canada's Fall Economic Statement is supporting Canada's economy, which is strong and growing, with more jobs and opportunities for the middle class, and for people working hard to join it.
- The Quebec Fisheries Fund will soon be accepting Expressions of Interest; further details will be available on our website in the coming weeks.
- The value of fish and seafood exports from the province of Quebec was over $462M in 2017.
- Follow the Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
- Follow the Canadian Coast Guard on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
- Subscribe to receive our news releases and more via RSS feeds. For more information or to subscribe, visit http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/media/rss-eng.htm.
SOURCE Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) Canada
For further information: Jocelyn Lubczuk, Press Secretary, Office of the Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard, 343-548-7863, [email protected]; Media Relations, Fisheries and Oceans Canada, 613-990-7537, [email protected]