Providing Canada's military community with the unique healthcare they need – and deserve
TORONTO, Nov. 24, 2014 /CNW/ - The Honourable Rona Ambrose, Minister of Health, and Michael Burns, Co-Founder and Vice-Chair of the True Patriot Love Foundation jointly announced today a significant investment in research devoted to the health and wellbeing of those who protect and serve Canadians at home and abroad. The joint announcement was made at the Canadian Institute for Military and Veteran Health Research (CIMVHR) Forum 2014 in Toronto – an international gathering of universities, researchers, clinicians and industries interested in military and Veteran health research.
The Government of Canada is providing half of the funding to CIMVHR, to mobilize and promote the uptake of research to better address the health and wellness of Canadian Forces personnel, Veterans, and their families. The other half is being provided by private donors through the True Patriot Love Foundation to support direct research and targeted programming designed to improve the mental health and well-being of this important and significant population.
Today's announcement will help the Institute build and promote partnerships and working relationships with the many organizations committed to the health and well-being of military personnel, Veterans and their families. It will put research, knowledge and information into the hands of those who work closely with these groups, leading to improved awareness and understanding of their unique healthcare needs and support ongoing health system improvements.
CIMVHR's activities will be delivered in all provinces across Canada, through their network of more than 30 partner universities. The impact of the work developed through this joint initiative has the potential to benefit all Canadians, and most especially those who work in similarly stressful occupations on a daily basis.
- Today's announcement represents a $5 million investment by the Government of Canada, and a matching $5 million investment by True Patriot Love, aimed at improving research capacity devoted to the wellbeing of Canada's men and women in uniform.
- In 2010, the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) invested $14,000 in the first Military and Veterans Health Research Forum. Through CIHR, the Government of Canada has also supported CIMVHR researchers. Since 2006, CIHR has invested over $113 million in projects involving CIMVHR researchers, including more than $24 million in 2013-14 alone.
- Based at Queen's University, the CIMVHR engages existing academic research resources from more than 30 Canadian universities. The Institute acts as a channel between the academic community, government organizations, industry and similar international organizations to address health and well-being issues of individuals and families of those who serve and have served.
- On November 23, 2014, the Honourable Julian Fantino, Minister of Veterans Affairs, and the Honourable Rob Nicholson,Minister of National Defence, announced almost $200M in new and expanded mental health initiatives for Veterans, serving military members, and their families.
- True Patriot Love Foundation is a national charity that honours the sacrifices of members of the Canadian Armed Forces, Veterans and their families in both times of peace and conflict. TPL funds unique programs and innovative research in the areas of mental health, physical rehabilitation, family support and veteran transition. For more information, please visit the True Patriot Love Foundation website.
"Providing our military with the unique healthcare they need – and deserve – is a priority of our Government. Funding health-related research in this area will lead to increased evidence-based results and practices, and ultimately improve healthcare supports offered to Canada's military personnel, Veterans and their families. It will also contribute to improvements in the quality and accessibility of the healthcare system for this brave group of individuals. Our Government will continue to support all those who have made so many sacrifices to protect our freedom and keep all Canadians safe."
Minister of Health
"I'm very happy to be making this announcement today with the True Patriot Love Foundation. They have generously matched the Government's investment with their own contribution, to support targeted health and wellness programming for military families, serving members and veterans across the country, where it's needed most. Working together, through public and private partnerships like this, we can all help to make positive changes in the lives of our soldiers, Veterans, and their families."
Minister of Health
"Today's investment will support more than 1,000 researchers across Canada. Their important work will have an immediate and far-reaching effect on the health and well-being of countless members of our military, veterans and their families. This builds on True Patriot Love's longstanding commitment to supporting the Canadian Institute for Military and Veteran Health Research (CIMVHR)."
Co-Founder and Vice-Chair
True Patriot Love Foundation
"Health Canada is investing in the Canadian Institute for Military and Veteran Health Research (CIMVHR) so that we can expand our work to enhance the lives of Canadian military personnel, Veterans and their families. We are honoured to be entrusted as the organization to maximize health research that will serve those who serve us."
Dr. Alice Aiken, Director
Canadian Institute for Military and Veteran Health Research
"I am pleased our Government is partnering with the Canadian Institute of Military and Veterans Health Research. Its broad network of committed Canadian universities advance the state of military and veteran's health related research, and this research is critical to enabling us to continue meet the health needs of Canadian Armed Forces members, veterans and their families."
The Honourable Rob Nicholson
Minister of National Defence
"Our Government applauds the ongoing work of the Canadian Institute for Military and Veteran Health Research. We are proud to partner with them to conduct studies and establish science-based evidence that will help improve supports for our courageous men and women, who have protected and continue to protect Canada at home and abroad, and their families."
The Honourable Julian Fantino
Minister of Veterans Affairs
The Canadian Institute for Military and Veteran Health Research
True Patriot Love Foundation
Department of National Defence
Veterans Affairs Canada
Minister Blaney Announces National Launch of PTSD Mobile App and funding for PTSD Research
Harper Government supports research to benefit Canada's Veterans
Fact Sheet – CIHR Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Research Funding
SOURCE: Health Canada
For further information: Contacts: Michael Bolkenius, Office of the Honourable Rona Ambrose, Federal Minister of Health, (613) 957-0200; Health Canada, Media Relations, (613) 957-2983; Public Inquiries: (613) 957-2991, 1-866 225-0709; Health Canada news releases are available on the Internet at: www.healthcanada.gc.ca/media