QUEBEC, March 16, 2020 /CNW Telbec/ - To counter the spread of COVID-19 and encourage the isolation of workers, François Legault, the Premier of Québec, and Jean Boulet, the Minister of Labour, Employment and Social Solidarity and Minister Responsible for the Mauricie Region, are announcing the implementation of the Programme d'aide temporaire aux travailleurs (PATT COVID-19) (temporary assistance program for workers).
The program provides financial support to workers who are subject to a confinement measure and are not eligible for an income replacement program. The government hopes that the program will alleviate the concerns of those worried about a loss of income caused by isolation.
The program will be available to workers who are in isolation for one of the following reasons:
- they have contracted the virus or are showing symptoms;
- they have been in contact with an infected individual; or
- they have recently returned from abroad.
In addition, workers who are in isolation or likely to be under the above criteria are eligible for the PATT COVID-19 if
- they are not compensated by their employer;
- they do not have private insurance; and
- they are not covered by government programs, such as federal employment insurance.
During their 14-day isolation period, eligible individuals will receive a lump sum of $573 per week. The financial assistance will be paid by bank transfer or by prepaid card. This operation will be conducted in collaboration with the Red Cross.
"I am aware that a lot is being asked of Quebecers. The various restrictions we announced have disrupted the lives of countless individuals, including many workers. The program we are announcing today will help us encourage those subject to confinement to comply with that measure. The last thing I want is for people to risk going to work when they should not due to financial concerns. If we all cooperate, we can succeed!"
François Legault, Premier of Québec
"In the context of a public health emergency, all workers and employers have a civic duty to help stop the spread of COVID-19. We must make things easier for workers and be fair to all Quebecers, and individuals who are asked to go into isolation must not be discouraged by concerns about income. Given the exceptional nature of the situation, I am asking employers to show understanding and flexibility."
Jean Boulet, Minister of Labour, Employment and Social Solidarity and Minister Responsible for the Mauricie Region
- For full information on the details of the PATT COVID-19, as well as eligibility conditions, please consult quebec.ca/coronavirus.
- On March 11, 2020, the Premier announced the implementation of an economic vigilance team presided over by Éric Girard, the Minister of Finance. The team will examine various measures aimed at combating the economic disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- For more information, the individuals concerned can call 1 877 644-4545.
- To find out more about the coronavirus, we also recommend that you consult quebec.ca/coronavirus.
You can follow the Ministère du Travail, de l'Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale on social media to find out more about its activities:
SOURCE Cabinet du ministre du Travail, de l'Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale
For further information: Sources: Caroline d'Astous, Press officer, Office of the Minister of Labour, Employment and Social Solidarity and Minister Responsible for the Mauricie Region, Telephone: 418 803-7563; Ewan Sauves, Press officer, Office of the Premier, Tel. : (514) 585-4451, [email protected]; Information: Media relations, Direction des communications, Ministère du Travail, de l'Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale, Telephone: 418 643-9796