TORONTO, Aug. 16, 2012 /CNW/ - Upon learning of the decision made today by the Speaker of the Ontario Legislature to continue to allow the Al Quds Day Rally to be held at Queen's Park, The Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs offered the following statement:
"We are deeply disappointed in this decision. Based on video evidence that we gathered from last year's Al-Quds Day rally, which included some vehemently racist and antisemitic language, as well as the history of the event itself, we maintain that there is no room on our Legislative grounds for this type of hate-filled event. We had a long conversation with the Speaker of the Legislature and expressed our deep concern. We respectfully disagree with this decision," said David Spiro, Greater Toronto Co-Chair of the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs.
"This matter is of deep concern, not only to the Jewish community, but to all Ontario citizens of good-will. Rules and procedures for demonstrations at Queen's Park are intended to reflect the dignity of the Legislature…not bring it into disrepute. We would like to see both the letter and the spirit of those rules enforced and to know that our provincial, public property will not be used as a platform for antisemitism, bigotry or racism of any kind," said Michael Grand, Chair, Regional Jewish Communities of Ontario, The Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs.
SOURCE: Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs
For further information:
Deputy Director, Communications
The Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs/Centre consultatif des relations juives et israeliénnes
Cell phone: (416) 317-9517