OTTAWA, June 21, 2018 /CNW/ - The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) announced today that it is launching an investigation into whether or not certain 54-inch gypsum board originating in or exported from the United States, for use or consumption in the provinces of British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba, as well as the Yukon and Northwest Territories ("Western Canada"), is being sold at unfair prices in Canada.
The investigation is the result of a complaint filed by CertainTeed Gypsum Canada Inc. (Mississauga, Ontario). The complainant alleges that the dumped goods have caused material retardation to the domestic industry in Western Canada.
Currently, there are 101 special import measures in force, covering a wide variety of industrial and consumer products. These measures have directly helped to protect the Canadian economy and jobs in Canada.
- Gypsum board is mainly used by the construction industry in the construction of interior walls and ceilings of new residential and commercial buildings as well as in renovation and repair applications.
- The CBSA and the Canadian International Trade Tribunal (CITT) both play a role in the investigation. The CITT will begin a preliminary inquiry to determine whether the imports are harming Canadian producers and will issue a decision by August 20, 2018.
- Concurrently, the CBSA will investigate whether the imports are being sold in Canada at unfair prices, and will make a preliminary decision by September 19, 2018.
- A copy of the Statement of Reasons, which provides more details about this investigation, will be available on the CBSA's website at www.cbsa.gc.ca/sima-lmsi within 15 days.
- Special Import Measures Act (SIMA) Investigative Process and Timeframes
- Overview of Canada's Anti-Dumping and Countervailing Investigative Processes
- Canada Border Services Agency, Anti-dumping and Countervailing
- Canadian International Trade Tribunal
SOURCE Canada Border Services Agency
For further information: Media Relations, Canada Border Services Agency, 613-957-6500