Hotels.com helps those travelling for work with a list of the most business-friendly destinations
TORONTO, Nov. 15, 2012 /CNW/ - At one point or another, most of us will have to travel for work-related purposes. Many of us already do and, for a few, the movie 'Up in the Air' isn't too far from reality. While it's nice to get away from our desks for a bit, the process of travelling can be exhausting. With this in mind, Hotels.com® used its Hotel Price Index™ (HPI™) to put together a list of the most business-friendly Canadian destinations to help ease the pains of your next work trip.
1. Vancouver, British Columbia: The third most popular domestic destination for Canadians according to the HPI, with an average daily hotel rate of $144 CDN.
Airport: Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
- This airport has won accolades for its views, food and amenities which include a 114,000-litre aquarium. It was crowned "Canada's Best Airport" by Flightnetwork.com and previously won "Best North American Airport" at the Skytrax World Airport Awards. Business features include free Wi-Fi, a business lounge and full postal service.
- The Delta Vancouver Airport has all you need including free Wi-Fi, free airport shuttle, 24-hour business centre and valet parking. It has an in-house restaurant, Pier 73, which offers cuisine to please all tastes - perfect for client entertaining - and is less than one kilometer from the airport.
- Now if that hotel is all booked, check out The Fairmont Vancouver Airport, also a stone's throw from the airport, which includes a 24-hour business centre, valet parking, event space and in-house restaurant, [email protected], which features Pacific Northwest cuisine from the region and a day spa with treatments to reduce jet-lag.
2. Toronto, Ontario: The HPI ranks this as the most popular domestic destination for Canadians with an average daily hotel rate of $141 CDN.
Airport: Pearson International Airport (YYZ)
- This airport is the biggest in Canada and features free Wi-Fi, Plaza Premium Lounges where travellers can work at a computer station, use the self-serve bar and enjoy non-stop meal service. It also has a whole lot of coffee spots - five Tim Horton's to be exact - to keep you alert during your work travels.
- Book a stay at the Hilton Toronto Airport Hotel & Suites. It's conveniently located next door to the airport, has a business centre, express check-in, meeting rooms, free Wi-Fi and an on-site Italian eatery, Bliss Bar and Restaurant. Here, both your client work and dinners can be under the same roof!
- Another convenient hotel is Sheraton Gateway Hotel in Toronto International Airport. Located less than a kilometer from the airport, it features free Wi-Fi, conference meeting rooms and an in-house restaurant, Mahogany Grill, which caters to a variety of different tastes.
3. Calgary, Alberta: The seventh most popular domestic destination for Canadians, which has more head offices than any city in Canada and an average daily hotel rate of $162 CDN, according to the HPI.
Airport: Calgary International Airport (YYC)
- At this airport you get a taste of the local culture the minute you leave the plane with a Calgary-style welcome that includes a White Hat ceremony. It features free Wi-Fi, a business lounge and, if you're looking for some entertainment, a spaceport where you can simulate space flight and more.
- The Delta Calgary Airport is just one kilometer from the airport, has a 24-hour business centre, conference/meeting rooms and free Wi-Fi.
- Alternatively, check out the Holiday Inn Express Airport. While it's not as close to the airport (approximately 11 kilometers away) it features complimentary breakfast, an airport shuttle, business centre, conference/meeting rooms and free Wi-Fi.
4. Halifax, Nova Scotia: Another popular domestic destination for Canadians with an average daily hotel rate of $155 CDN.
Airport: Halifax Stanfield International Airport (YHZ)
- This airport has won many awards and in 2011 Global Airport Service Quality (ASQ) ratings declared it one of the best airports in the world. If you're interested in a behind-the-scenes view, take an airport tour accompanying Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) officers and their dogs as they search suspicious luggage.
- The Quality Inn Halifax Airport is two kilometers from the airport and just 200 metres from the Atlantic Canada Aviation Museum - hey, it could work for client entertaining! They also offer free Wi-Fi, an airport shuttle, business centre and your choice of a free hot or cold breakfast to start your day.
- Another very close hotel, Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport, is just over three kilometers from the airport. The hotel has a 24-hour business centre, meeting spaces, audio-visual equipment for rent and a free airport shuttle.
5. Montréal, Quebec: The second most popular domestic destination for Canadians by HPI ranking, with an average daily hotel rate of $154 CDN.
Airport: Montréal-Pierre Elliot Trudeau International Airport (YUL)
- This airport includes a much-appreciated spa to soothe stressed travellers, free Wi-Fi and a business lounge.
- The Sheraton Montreal Airport Hotel is just 600 meters from the airport, has a large event space, business centre and free Wi-Fi in public areas - who wants to hole up in their room anyway?
- A bit further away, but don't fret, it has a free airport shuttle, is the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Montreal Airport. Business offerings include a 24-hour business centre, small meeting rooms, audio-visual equipment rentals and a much-needed coffee shop.
Simplify your trip: Business Traveller Tips
So now you know where to go and stay, you have to make sure you're prepared for the trip itself. Make life easier with these helpful business travel tips:
Tip 1: Stay packed - If you travel a lot, make sure to always leave your suitcase partially packed when at home to save time and hassle.
Tip 2: Look for perks - When you check in, always ask if there is an upgrade available, if there are extra points for anything or if there are any specials. It's free to ask and worth the effort.
Tip 3: Travel light - Pick clothing that can do double-duty to save space. If you can get away with just a carry on, you can skip the luggage carousel and get in and out of the airport in no time.
Tip 4: Be metal and lace -free - Put metal accessories, like a watch, phone or jewellery, in your bag to save time going through airport security and wear shoes without laces so they're easy to slip on and off. And, don't forget to put your travel sized liquids in a quart-size bag.
Tip 5: Sleep for free - Sign up for Welcome Rewards™, the Hotels.com loyalty program, and you'll earn one free night for every 10 stayed. What's even more appealing is that you're not tied to one chain, so you can book hotels based on convenience and not by name.
While business travel will never be as enjoyable as leisure travel, there are many ways to improve the experience. Besides, think of all the different destinations you may not have visited if it wasn't for your work schedule... and while on your company's dime!
The HPI is a biannual report that looks at hotel prices in cities all around the world. The data is based on bookings made through the Hotels.com website and the prices listed are the actual prices paid by Canadians - not advertised rates. This most recent edition of the report compares the first six months of 2012 with the same period in 2011.
Hotels.com (also known in Canada as Hotels.ca) is a leading online accommodation booking brand. Through its global network of websites, Hotels.com, LP connects travellers with over 160,000 properties around the world, ranging from international chains and all-inclusive resorts to local favourites and bed & breakfasts, together with all the information needed to book the perfect stay. Hotels.com, LP benefits from one of the largest hotel contracting teams in the industry, obtaining the best rates for its customers, and offers frequent sales, special deals and promotions. There are more than 7 million Guest Reviews on the websites from users who have actually stayed in the hotels to ensure customers can make an informed choice when booking. Through Hotels.com, LP's industry-leading loyalty program Welcome RewardsTM, customers can earn a free night for every 10 nights stayed at more than 85,000 hotels. Under its Price Match Guarantee, if a customer can find the same deal for less on a prepaid hotel, Hotels.com, LP will refund the difference. Travellers can book online or by contacting one of the multilingual call centers. Special apps for mobile phones and tablets can also be downloaded at www.hotels.com/deals/mobile_app/ enabling customers to book on the go with access to 20,000 last minute deals. Hotels.com publishes an award-winning twice-yearly review of international hotel room price trends called the Hotels.com Hotel Price Index™, which is now produced in 31 individual country editions, with North American data available at www.hotel-price-index.com. Follow Hotels.com on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Hotels.comCA, on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/hotelsdotcomca and on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/user/hotelsdotcom. Hotels.com, LP is part of Expedia, Inc., the largest online travel company in the world with an extensive portfolio that includes some of the world's best-known brands.
Hotels.com, Hotel Price Index, HPI, Welcome Rewards and the Hotels.com logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Hotels.com, LP. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners. © 2012 Hotels.com, LP. All rights reserved. CST # 2083949-50
Image with caption: "Take advantage of business travel perks to simplify your trip (CNW Group/Hotels.com)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20121115_C8246_PHOTO_EN_20685.jpg
For further information: