– GOLDEN GLOBES® leads the day in all key demos and all key markets –
– GOLDEN GLOBES sees double digit growth over last year's broadcast in the key A18-34 demo –
– THE GOLDEN GLOBES ARRIVAL SPECIAL ranks as #2 entertainment program for the day with 1.4 million viewers –
– #GoldenGlobes and #etalkGlobes trend across Canada during live broadcast –
– With exclusive red carpet access and the only Canadian outlet with a backstage lounge, ETALK's extensive GOLDEN GLOBE® coverage airs tonight (Jan. 12) at 7 p.m. ET/PT on CTV and CTV GO –
To tweet this release: http://bmpr.ca/1u0AVHN
TORONTO, Jan. 12, 2015 /CNW/ - Third time's a charm for hosts Amy Poehler and Tina Fey! Awards season officially kicked off last night with THE 72ND ANNUAL GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS® on CTV delivering 3.1 million viewers, preliminary overnight data from Numeris (BBM Canada) reveals. The GOLDEN GLOBES® was the #1 program of the day not only with total viewers, but also in all key adult demos, and in all key markets. In all, nearly one in three English Canadians watching TV tuned into the broadcast, reaching 9.3 million viewers on CTV.
**Media Note** – Photography for THE 72ND ANNUAL GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS® is available online at BellMediaPR.ca
A closer look at Sunday according to Numeris (BBM Canada) preliminary data:
- Head-to-head, CTV more than doubled the audiences of Global, City, and CBC combined.*
- THE 72ND ANNUAL GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS® saw double-digit growth over last year's broadcast in the key A18-34 demo, up 17%, and also grew in A18-49 (+9%), and A25-54 (+3%).
- The live awards broadcast peaked with 3.8 million viewers at 8:51 p.m. ET as surprise guest, mega-star Prince hit the stage to hand out the Golden Globe for the Best Original Song – Motion Picture category, "Glory", from Selma.
- THE GOLDEN GLOBES ARRIVAL SPECIAL was watched by 1.4 million Canadians ranking as the #2 entertainment program of the day with total viewers, A25-54, and A18-49.
- E! LIVE FROM THE RED CARPET was watched by 220,000 viewers on E!, and reached 705,000 Canadians.
- In Toronto, the GOLDEN GLOBES delivered a 13.1 rating for A18-34, 12.1 for A18-49 and a 11.7 for A25-54. In Montréal, it delivered a 10.4 rating for A18-34, 11.4 for A18-49 and a 11.6 for A25-54.
Social networks were abuzz with both #GoldenGlobes and #etalkGlobes which was trending across Canada on Twitter during the live broadcast. The big winners of the night include Patricia Arquette, from CTV's upcoming spinoff CSI: CYBER, who won Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture for her role in Boyhood. Matt Bomer won Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made For Television for his role in HBO Canada's THE NORMAL HEART. The Movie Network's THE AFFAIR won Best Television Series – Drama, with series lead Ruth Wilson taking home a Golden Globe for her role in the drama series. For a full list of winners from THE 72ND ANNUAL GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS®, click here.
ETALK brings viewers exclusive GOLDEN GLOBE coverage, airing tonight (Jan. 12) at 7 p.m. ET/PT on CTV and CTV GO (check local listings), as the only Canadian outlet with an exclusive platform position on the red carpet and a backstage lounge. Anchor Ben Mulroney, newly appointed Co-Anchor Danielle Graham, and L.A. Correspondent Jessi Cruickshank deliver exclusive one-on-one interviews with the night's big winners including Michael Keaton (Birdman), Matt Bomer (THE NORMAL HEART), Julianne Moore (Still Alice), J.K. Simmons (Whiplash), Kevin Spacey (HOUSE OF CARDS), Joanne Froggatt (DOWNTON ABBEY), Gina Rodriguez (JANE THE VIRGIN), and Canadian director Dean DeBlois (How To Train Your Dragon), as well as, Ethan Hawke (Boyhood), Billy Bob Thornton (FARGO), Dominic West and Joshua Jackson (THE AFFAIR), and Common and John Legend (Selma).
Viewers looking to obtain their favourite celebrity looks as seen last night on the GOLDEN GLOBE red carpet can visit ETALK.ca/RedCarpetBeauty for ETALK and L'Oreal's new digital series RED CARPET BEAUTY. Hosted by ETALK Reporter and THE SOCIAL Co-Host Traci Melchor, RED CARPET BEAUTY features L'Oreal expert Eddie Malter, Official Makeup Artist for L'Oreal Paris Canada, along with Eric Del Monaco, Official Hairstylist for L'Oreal Paris Canada, who share tips and suggest L'Oreal products to help viewers recreate the looks of their favourite stars.
The GOLDEN GLOBES® are part of CTV's extensive roster of the most-watched awards shows broadcasted in Canada, delivering the biggest names in film, television, and music. CTV is set to broadcast THE 87th ACADEMY AWARDS® (Feb. 22) and THE 2015 JUNO AWARDS (March 16).
SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS:
Source: Numeris (BBM Canada). Overnight vs. Overnight.
*8 -11:04 p.m. ET.