GLASGOW, Scotland, July 19, 2012 /CNW/ - In the highly competitive field of global beers, the Scottish based brewer, Tennent Caledonian, has revealed a win of seven gold, silver and bronze medals at two of the toughest global beer quality challenges: the Monde Selection in Belgium and the International Beer Challenge, which was announced earlier today (19 July 2012).
Three new brands launched earlier this year fared well in today's results, with five medals awarded for Tennent's Original Export (UK market), and Tennent's Scotch Ale / Tennent's Extra (Italian market). This success follows a period of extensive investment in Wellpark brewery over recent years, including the installation of a £4m bottling line and the establishment of the Tennent's Training Academy.
Master Brewer David Shearer commented: 'Our decision to enter some of our beers into global competition for the first time in a number of years is reflective of a renewed confidence and ambition around the Tennent's brewery at Wellpark. We are really pleased to have been recognised in two of the world's most prestigious awards this year and I'd like to commend our team for consistently producing the highest quality products for our home market and abroad'.
The awards are good news for Tennent's and owners C&C Group, as they implement an ambitious export programme for the Tennent's brands, with a focus on key territories including Ireland, Canada, Australia, Italy and the USA.
Notes to editors:
- The Tennent's business has been brewing since 1740 at the historic Wellpark Brewery in Glasgow and is today the oldest running commercial concern in Glasgow
- Tennent's Lager is an industry pioneer, recognised as the first commercial lager produced to scale in Scotland
- August 2009: business purchased by C&C Group plc
- November 2010: opening of the Tennent's Training Academy at Wellpark
- October 2011: launch of a major new beer brand - Caledonia Best - made with 100 per cent Scottish barley
- March 2012: opening of £4m state-of-the-art bottling line at Wellpark by Scotland's First Minister, Alex Salmond
- April 2012: launch of a new premium export lager for the Scottish market: Tennent's Original Export
For further information: