Ontario Trillium Foundation recognizes project's outstanding impact
TORONTO, Feb. 22, 2012 /CNW/ -
The Ontario Trillium Foundation today announced that Temiskaming International Plowing Match 2009 is a finalist for the prestigious 2012 Great Grants Awards. The awards recognize Ontario organizations that have demonstrated exceptional results, innovation and a lasting impact on the communities they serve.
Temiskaming International Plowing Match 2009 has been selected as a finalist in the arts and culture category. A total of eight 2012 Great Grants Awards recipients will be recognized in the presence of Hon. Michael Chan, Ontario Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport, at a ceremony in Toronto on March 23.
Temiskaming International Plowing Match 2009 -- Earlton
Daring vision sows prosperity for district
In September 2009, the small Temiskaming Municipality of Earlton opened its doors to the world. The district dared to dream big and its vision brought in more than 70,000 people to the first-ever International Plowing Match and Rural Expo hosted in Northern Ontario. Over 1,700 volunteers, representing the local Anglophone, Francophone and Native communities, worked together to showcase the best Northern Ontario had to offer. The result? Visitors from across Canada, the USA and around the globe got a taste of the hospitality, beauty, rich history and abundance of natural resources of Northern Ontario. The outstanding dedication of the organizers and their army of volunteers paid off for everyone. With a tented city spanning over 100 acres and over 600 exhibitors, it is estimated that the event generated $21 million for the area.
Temiskaming International Plowing Match 2009 was awarded a Community grant of $35,000 over one year in 2009.
"We are very proud of The 2009 International Plowing Match and are excited that, with this nomination, its work in the community will be acknowledged across Ontario. Its efforts go to the heart of the Foundation's own work: to support good ideas and help foster community connections that improve people's quality of life."
- Andrew W. Ager, Chair of Grant Review Team for Muskoka, Nipissing, Parry Sound and Timiskaming, OTF
- Ontario Trillium Foundation Great Grants Award finalists were selected from among some 4,500 groups that received OTF support between April 2006 and December 2010
- Eight Great Grants Awards will be presented on March 23 in Toronto:
- One award for each of OTF's four funded sectors: arts and culture, sports and recreation, environment, and human and social services
- The Minister's Award
- The Chair's Award
- The CEO's Award
- The People's Choice Award
- OTF grants funding to approximately 1,500 organizations each year.
- Photo of Temiskaming International Plowing Match 2009 at http://otf.ca/en/newsCentre/gg_finalists_2012.asp#temiskaming
- View all 2012 Great Grants Awards Finalists
- View voting page for People's Choice Award at: http://otf.ca/fr/Newsmodule/index.aspx?newsId=6TXlYUcA0RflC4mq9n3VWgeQuAleQuAl
- Learn more about the Ontario Trillium Foundation
For further information:
Ontario Trillium Foundation
1.800.263.2887 ext. 265
Temiskaming International Plowing Match 2009