SAINT-HERMÉNÉGILDE, QC, April 12, 2019 /CNW/ - Today, Marie-Claude Bibeau, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food, announced an investment of over $2.2 million to help the Maple Syrup Producers of Quebec increase global demand and promote Canadian maple syrup to international markets.
This investment enables the maple syrup sector to expand and diversify exports, and seize opportunities for Canadian maple syrup in existing and emerging markets in the United Kingdom, Germany, Japan and China.
In United Kingdom, advertising and promotion activities will be developed, including new recipes to help raise awareness about maple products. The partnership established with the Royal Academy of Culinary Arts, including renowned chefs, and the academic network will allow the link of maple products and gastronomy. Similar promotional activities will be developed in Germany.
A feasibility study on electronic commerce will be conducted in Japan in order to put an action plan in place. As well, a market research survey will be conducted in China to identify on-line marketing practices and strategies to promote regular consumption of maple products.
"Canada's maple syrup producers are known throughout the world for producing delicious, high-quality products. This investment will further strengthen existing markets and create potential to expand into new international markets, while growing our economy and creating well-paying jobs for our middle class."
- Marie-Claude Bibeau, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food
"Producteurs et productrices acéricoles du Québec (PPAQ) is extremely happy and grateful to receive this funding from Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada. The $2.2 million will make it possible to increase maple syrup sales in high-potential markets such as Germany, the United Kingdom, Japan and China. This funding falls directly in line with the key objective in our organization's 2018 - 2023 strategic plan, which is to increase sales of our liquid gold to 66% during that period."
- Serge Beaulieu, President, Producteurs et productrices acéricoles du Québec
- This funding of $2.2 million was provided under the AgriMarketing Program of the Canadian Agricultural Partnership.
- The Canadian Agricultural Partnership is a five-year, $3 billion investment by federal, provincial and territorial governments to strengthen the agriculture and agri-food sector.
- The Canadian maple industry produces about 78% of the world's maple syrup and is the world's leading producer of maple products. The province of Quebec alone accounts for 90% of Canada's maple syrup production.
- In 2018, Canada exported an estimated $405 million worth of maple products.
- Canadian Agricultural Partnership (Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada)
- AgriMarketing Program (Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada)
- Producteurs et productrices acéricoles du Québec
SOURCE Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
For further information: Justine Lesage, Press Secretary, Office of the Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food, [email protected], Mobile: 613-404-1168; Media Relations, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, 613-773-7972, 1-866-345-7972, [email protected]