Tallest Lighthouse in Atlantic Canada Protected
Dec 20, 2013, 11:19 ET
Point Amour Lighthouse Designated under Heritage Lighthouse Legislation
L'ANSE-AMOUR, NL, Dec. 20, 2013 /CNW/ - The Honourable Leona Aglukkaq, Canada's Environment Minister and Minister responsible for Parks Canada, today designated an iconic landmark of Newfoundland and Labrador, the Point Amour lighthouse, as a heritage lighthouse under the Canadian Heritage Lighthouse Protection Act (HLPA).
The HLPA, which was adopted in 2008, allows for the protection of federally-owned lighthouses on Canada's coastal and inland waters that have significant heritage value. Administered by Parks Canada, the HLPA helps ensure Canada's maritime history is protected for the benefit and enjoyment of present and future generations.
Canadians have nominated hundreds of lighthouses to be considered for designation under the Act.
- Point Amour Lighthouse is the tallest in Atlantic Canada, and the second tallest in the country.
- Located at L'Anse Amour, on the Strait of Belle Isle, this lighthouse was built in 1857 to increase the safety of transatlantic shipping.
- The lighthouse is associated with the most famous marine disaster in the history of the Strait of Belle Isle, the wreck of HMS Raleigh, a British warship, in 1922.
- The Government of Newfoundland and Labrador has agreed to acquire this lighthouse and protect its heritage character.
"I am very pleased that this symbolic lighthouse, with its exceptional maritime history, will be protected for years to come. The Point Amour Lighthouse has been an important part of life in Labrador Straits for over 150 years and has been re-invented as a unique tourist and educational destination that is making an important economic, social and cultural contribution to the area."
The Honourable Rob Moore, Regional Minister for Newfoundland and Labrador and Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency)
- Backgrounder: New Heritage Lighthouse Designation - Point Amour Heritage Lighthouse
- Heritage Lighthouses of Canada (home page)
- Designated Lighthouses
- Heritage Lighthouse Protection Act
Image with caption: "Today, Point Amour Lighthouse (Newfoundland and Labrador) has been designated as a heritage lighthouse under the Canadian Heritage Lighthouse Protection Act. (CNW Group/Parks Canada)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20131220_C6162_PHOTO_EN_35209.jpg
SOURCE: Parks Canada
For further information:
Office of the Minister of the Environment
Share this article