Equate partners with Sue Mah, RD, to offer manageable steps for lifelong wellness
MISSISSAUGA, ON, June 13, 2017 /CNW/ - With the average lifespan for women in Canada at 83 years, it is more important than ever to take a proactive approach to maintaining overall health. Equate, Walmart Canada's health and beauty brand, has partnered with registered dietitian Sue Mah to provide ten essential tips that will help Canadian women maintain their overall health.
"There is no one-size-fits-all solution to health and longevity, but there are recommended steps we can take to encourage better health," said Paul Goldsmith, senior director of brand management, private brands at Walmart Canada. "Through Equate, we offer products that are accessible and can contribute to our customer's health and well-being."
10 Essential Tips for Women's Health
- Get enough iron. Iron helps form the hemoglobin in your red blood cells which carries oxygen from your lungs to every part of your body. When you're low in iron, you'll feel tired, look pale and may develop anemia. Aim for 18 mg of iron a day. Vegetarians need almost double that amount. Food sources: meat, poultry, fish, beans, lentils, spinach, iron-fortified breads, pasta and breakfast cereals.
- Count your calcium. Your bone density actually continues to grow until about age 30. Calcium keeps your bones and teeth strong. Aim for 1,000 mg of calcium every day. Food sources: milk, fortified soy / almond / plant-based beverages, cheese, yogurt, edamame beans, tofu, navy beans, almonds, collards, kale.
- Focus on folic acid. Taking a folic acid supplement before you get pregnant helps reduce the risk of birth defects that affect the baby's brain and spine. If you could become pregnant, are pregnant or breastfeeding, take a supplement of 400 mcg (0.4 mg) of folic acid every day. Food sources: dark green vegetables, orange juice, cantaloupe, papaya, peanut butter, sunflower seeds, beans, chickpeas, lentils, enriched bread, pasta and breakfast cereals.
- Consider a multivitamin supplement. With a fast-paced, busy lifestyle, it can sometimes be tricky to get all the nutrients you need from food alone. Consider taking a supplement such as Equate Women's Formula Multivitamin and Mineral Supplement. It contains a range of nutrients to help maintain immune function, maintain healthy skin, and help in the development and maintenance of bones, cartilage, teeth and gums. Talk to a Registered Dietitian for personalized advice about supplements.
- Get social with food! Celebrate the joy of food by cooking and eating with your kids, family and friends. Ask the kids to help you pick out veggies at the grocery store. Start a cooking club with friends. Take a stroll to the weekly farmers' market together.
- Stay fueled on the go. Missed a meal because you were too pressed for time? We've all been there at one point or another. Keep your energy levels up with a ready-to-drink nutritional shake like Equate High Protein Shake. A serving offers 225 calories, 25 essential vitamins and minerals, and 12 grams of protein.
- Ditch the diets. Diets are out and healthy, wholesome eating is in. There's absolutely no need to feel guilty over a glass of wine or a piece of cherry cheesecake every now and then. Have a healthy relationship with food and tell yourself it's OK to enjoy these treats in moderation.
- Let movement be your medicine. You may have heard that sitting is the new smoking. Prolonged sitting may increase your chances of developing heart disease, type 2 diabetes and some types of cancer. Regular activity is also a natural stress buster. Find activities that you enjoy and work up a good sweat. Hot yoga, anyone?
- Practice the 3 Ps: Prioritize, Plan, Pace. Life moves fast. Nobody is expecting you to be perfect or get everything done in a day. Prioritize your tasks so that the most important ones get done first. Then, plan your "To Do" list. Finally, pace yourself to avoid burnout.
- Get a good night's sleep. Not only is sleep deprivation tied to possible weight gain, but it's also linked to a higher risk of health problems such as diabetes and heart disease. Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep every night. As a new day dawns, you'll feel refreshed, energized and ready to take on the world!
For further information about the vast selection of health and beauty products from Equate, please visit Walmart.ca/Equate.
About Walmart Canada
Walmart Canada operates a chain of 410 stores nationwide serving more than 1.2 million customers each day. Walmart Canada's flagship online store, Walmart.ca, is visited by 600,000 customers daily. With more than 90,000 associates, Walmart Canada is one of Canada's largest employers and is ranked one of the country's top 10 most influential brands. Walmart Canada's extensive philanthropy program is focused on supporting Canadian families in need, and since 1994 Walmart has raised and donated $250 million to Canadian charities. Additional information can be found at walmartcanada.ca, facebook.com/walmartcanada and at twitter.com/walmartcanada.
SOURCE Walmart Canada
For further information: For media inquiries, please contact: Jason Chennette, Director, APEX Public Relations, 416-934-2125, firstname.lastname@example.org