- Contest runs through July for innovative ideas to support the six commitments of The Good Growth Plan
- Four contest winners will receive a total of $50,000 to help implement their ideas
WASHINGTON, May 27, 2014 /CNW/ - Syngenta announced today a contest for creative ideas that will support one or more of the six measurable commitments of The Good Growth Plan. The Good Growth Plan Grant Contest* will award one Grand Prize of $20,000 to help the winner implement the idea. Also, three runners-up will receive $10,000 each for the same purpose. Deadline for submissions is July 14, 2014. For contest details, official rules and to submit an idea, visit www.GoodGrowthPlanGrant.com.
"Last fall, Syngenta launched around the world The Good Growth Plan, agriculture's most ambitious and comprehensive program to help sustainably address the global food security challenge," said Jill Wheeler, Syngenta head of sustainable productivity in North America. "As part of this effort, we have been asking others to be involved. Now we are reaching out broadly in North America with this contest to find truly innovative ideas."
Our global population, now more than 7 billion, will rise to more than 9 billion by 2050. That is 200,000 more people to feed every day. Yet there is no more land for agriculture, and freshwater is already becoming scarce. The Good Growth Plan addresses the overall food security challenge with six measurable objectives to boost resource efficiency, rejuvenate ecosystems and strengthen rural communities. One planet. Six commitments. The commitments include:
- Make crops more efficient - increase the average productivity of the world's major crops by 20 percent without using more land, water or inputs
- Rescue more farmland - improve the fertility of nearly 25 million acres of farmland on the brink of degradation
- Help biodiversity flourish - enhance the biodiversity on more than 12 million acres of farmland
- Empower smallholder farmers - reach 20 million smallholders and enable them to increase productivity by 50 percent
- Help people stay safe - train 20 million farm workers on labor safety, especially in developing countries
- Look after every worker - strive for fair labor conditions throughout our entire supply chain network
The contest seeks ideas that can be implemented to support one or more of the commitments.
For information on The Good Growth Plan, please visit www.GoodGrowthPlan.com.
Syngenta is one of the world's leading companies with more than 28,000 employees in over 90 countries dedicated to our purpose: Bringing plant potential to life. Through world?class science, global reach and commitment to our customers we help to increase crop productivity, protect the environment and improve health and quality of life. For more information about us please go to www.syngenta.com.
*The Good Growth Plan Grant Contest
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO WIN. Open only to legal residents of the 50 U.S. states/D.C. and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18+. Void where prohibited. Contest ends 7/14/14 at 11:59:59 ET. Subject to the Official Rules.
Cautionary Statement Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
This document contains forward-looking statements, which can be identified by terminology such as 'expect', 'would', 'will', 'potential', 'plans', 'prospects', 'estimated', 'aiming', 'on track' and similar expressions. Such statements may be subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause the actual results to differ materially from these statements. We refer you to Syngenta's publicly available filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission for information about these and other risks and uncertainties including the "Risk Factors" in our Annual Report on Form 20-F. Syngenta assumes no obligation to update forward-looking statements to reflect actual results, changed assumptions or other factors. This document does not constitute, or form part of, any offer or invitation to sell or issue, or any solicitation of any offer, to purchase or subscribe for any ordinary shares in Syngenta AG, or Syngenta ADSs, nor shall it form the basis of, or be relied on in connection with, any contract thereof.
The Syngenta logo is a trademark of a Syngenta Group Company.
For further information: