Clearing snow and ice from your propane equipment will reduce the risk accidental damage and ensure the rest of the season is safe and warm.
DARTMOUTH, NS, March 2, 2015 /CNW/ - With the Maritimes experiencing a winter of unusually heavy snow and ice build-up, Superior Propane is asking all propane users to clear snow from tanks, ensure a clear path to the tanks for a safe delivery, and to take caution when removing snow from roofs.
Heavy snow build-up and snow falling from roofs can damage tanks and equipment potentially causing leaks or even fire. Superior encourages users to protect the equipment from falling snow and use brushes or brooms to safely clear the snow.
"This winter has brought near record levels of heavy snow and ice to much of the Atlantic, and Superior wants propane users to stay safe and warm," says Mike Thorne, General Manager of the Atlantic Region. Adding, "there are simple steps propane users can take to ensure access to their tanks for propane delivery and avoid damage."
With even more snow in the forecast this winter, Superior Propane offers six safety tips for all propane customers:
- Clear a path to your tank for safe, on-time delivery.
- Ensure snow isn't piled on tanks, gas lines, regulators or appliance vents.
- Remove snow around your appliance vents so they remain clear and unobstructed at all times.
- Take caution when shoveling snow from your roofs to prevent snow from falling on tanks, cylinders, propane lines, regulators, or appliance vents below.
- Don't use machinery within 4.5 metres (15 feet) of propane tanks, cylinders, gas lines, regulators or appliance vents while clearing snow.
- Use extreme caution when removing snow from around tanks/cylinders, gas piping, regulators and appliance vents. Don't use sharp tools or force. Carefully clear heavy snow until the tank and equipment are visible. Final clearing should be done with soft tools such as brooms or brushes to ensure no damage to the equipment and components.
If you have any questions, please call Superior Propane at 1-87SUPERIOR (1-877-873-7467) or visit superiorpropane.com/wintertanksafety for more information.
About Superior Propane
Superior Propane is Canada's only national provider of portable fuels, equipment and service delivered locally to customers in 153 communities nationwide. In business since 1951, Superior's headquarters are located in Mississauga, ON and is part of the Energy Service division of Superior Plus LP. Superior Propane employs more than 1,400 Canadians and delivers over 1.2 billion litres of propane annually.
SOURCE Superior Propane
Image with caption: "Superior Propane (CNW Group/Superior Propane)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20150302_C8824_PHOTO_EN_12713.jpg
For further information: Mike Thorne, General Manager, Atlantic, (902) 237-5762