CIRA D-Zone Anycast helps improve security of patient communications, increases performance of web applications and services
TORONTO, July 5, 2016 /CNW/ - Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre has deployed the Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) D-Zone Anycast DNS solution, adding additional performance and security to the hospital's mission-critical Internet infrastructure.
- Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre takes the protection of online systems and services seriously. An integrated approach to cyber-security ensures that all of Sunnybrook's IT systems are aligned in maintaining the security of patient communications, continuous monitoring of public-facing infrastructure and protection from the reputational risks associated with data breaches or malicious attacks.
- The .CA D-Zone Anycast DNS offers healthcare providers a secondary DNS solution with an expansive Canadian network of servers. This helps improve the performance of online systems for Canadian users, while keeping data inside Canadian borders.
- Comprehensive reporting, monitoring and analysis tools ensure that the Sunnybrook team can ensure continuous compliance with a strict IT security framework. Sunnybrook is fully empowered to audit the performance of their DNS.
- DNS security is a critical issue for Canada's health care community and the team at Sunnybrook are leading the country in mitigating threats. CIRA analyzed over 300 hospitals and healthcare institutions across Canada and found that 91% are not taking the necessary steps to protect their DNS from outages caused by either a network failure or a malicious hacker attack.
"Healthcare CIOs are working tirelessly to keep a step ahead of security threats. Upgrading their DNS with a Canada-first solution gives Sunnybrook a leg-up in preventing offshore DDoS attacks, while increasing performance for users within Canada. It's a win/win. Sunnybrook's approach recognises the value that a high-performance DNS can bring to their IT security framework."
- Dave Chiswell, VP of product development at CIRA
"In an era of ever-increasing threats to the confidentiality and integrity of Internet transactions, Sunnybrook is pleased to partner with CIRA, a Canadian organization, to safeguard the cybersecurity of our patients' health information. CIRA's D-Zone service will ensure that patients and their healthcare providers can always rely on the availability of secure access to the Sunnybrook health record."
- Oliver Tsai, Director, Information Technology, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
- DNS test: ensure your DNS settings are by running CIRA's DNS configuration test
- Learn more about Anycast: D-Zone technology explained
About Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre is inventing the future of health care for the 1.2 million patients the hospital cares for each year through the dedication of its more than 13,000 staff, students and volunteers. An internationally recognized leader in research and education and a full affiliation with the University of Toronto distinguishes Sunnybrook as one of Canada's premier academic health sciences centres. Sunnybrook specializes in caring for high-risk pregnancies, critically-ill newborns and adults, offering specialized rehabilitation and treating and preventing cancer, cardiovascular disease, neurological and psychiatric disorders, orthopaedic and arthritic conditions and traumatic injuries. The Hospital also has a unique and national leading program for the care of Canada's war veterans. For more information about how Sunnybrook is inventing the future of health care please visit us online at www.sunnybrook.ca.
The Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) manages the .CA top-level domain on behalf of all Canadians. A Member-driven organization, CIRA also develops and implements policies that support Canada's Internet community, and represents the .CA registry internationally.
SOURCE Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA)
For further information: Ryan Saxby Hill, Communications manager, CIRA, [email protected], 613-316-2397