OTTAWA, May 9, 2014 /CNW/ - Canadian Olympian Annamay Pierse will bring words on swimming as the Canadian Red Cross, Canadian Tire Jumpstart Charities, Parachute Canada, and Parliamentarians celebrate National Lifejacket and Swim Day on Parliament Hill, organized by MP John Weston (West Vancouver – Sunshine Coast – Sea to Sky Country). The event will raise awareness around the importance of lifejacket use in and around the water and the effectiveness of lifejackets in drowning prevention. Swimming will be promoted as a life-long, healthy activity for Canadian families.
National Lifejacket and Swim Day on Parliament Hill
When: May 12, 2014 at 3:30; the photo op is at 4:00.
Where: Centennial Flame, Parliament Hill
Who is coming:
- Senators and Members of Parliament
- Members of the National Health and Fitness Day Advisory Council
- Pierre Lafontaine, Swim Coach of the Parliamentary Fitness Initiative and CEO of Canadian Interuniversity Sport
- Annamay Pierse, Olympic medalist swimmer
- Representatives from partner organizations: Canadian Red Cross, Canadian Tire Jumpstart Charities, Parachute Canada
Who is Invited: Everyone!
What: Group photo of Senators and Members of Parliament wearing lifejackets with Ottawa school children in support of swimming and water safety.
SOURCE: National Lifejacket and Swim Day on the Hill
For further information: For additional information or comment from MP Weston, please contact: Marilyn McIvor, National Health and Fitness Day Project Manager, Phone: 613-402-5154, Email: [email protected]