LAVAL, QC, May 5 /CNW Telbec/ - The Société de transport de Laval (STL) is proud to be presenting the updated design of its buses today, in keeping with its new colours: green and blue.
These graphic changes reflect the STL's will to do its utmost to opt for an environmentally-friendly approach in its operations: The blue evokes the sky and water; the green represents the prairies and forests.
But the changes don't stop there: In fact, on its vehicles, the STL is undertaking a roll-out of its new visual and sound equipment that is bound to please transit users.
On each bus, an alphanumeric display will indicate the name of the upcoming stop and possible connections.
The name of the stop will also be mentioned out loud, over the public announcement system.
Members of both well-known local choirs-Les Petits chanteurs de Laval and Les Voix boréales-have agreed to record these messages with their beautiful voices.
These information devices come within the vast STL Synchro program, launched early in the year, with the installation of outdoor display units at key stops. These units indicate, in real time, the exact time that the next bus will arrive.
STL Synchro comes in many forms, each one equally user-friendly and practical: Internet, registration on MySTL, mobile phone alerts, presence on social networks (Facebook and Twitter) and a mobile site for smartphones.
With these new attractions, the STL hopes to increase its ridership and contribute toward reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
The STL, facts and figures
- The STL operates over 20 million runs annually.
- The overhaul of the bus network, made necessary by the extension of the
metro to Laval, gave rise to a 28% increase in service, faster trips
and more direct bus routes.
- The frequency of buses outside rush hours, on evenings and weekends,
has doubled on 12 lines since August 2009.
- The fare policy is particularly designed to encourage families to use
public transit: All adults paying their fare on weekends and holidays
may be accompanied, free of charge, by up to five children age 11 and
under. This policy also applies to every day in the summer, July 1 -
Labour Day. In addition, the STL's $1 fares on summer smog days are a
first in Québec.
- The STL is financing Éco Mobile à Laval, a major operation by Vélo
Québec and aimed at promoting alternate solutions to car use.
- It is also partnering with the Association québécoise de lutte contre
la pollution atmosphérique, Communauto and The Carpooling Network to
promote sustainable transportation in Laval.
- All vehicles on its fleet use biodiesel B5.
- The STL has its own page on Facebook, where it announces service
notices, and it is also on Twitter.
- The STL offers riders the opportunity to register on MySTL to receive
notices on its bus routes that they usually take.
- Since the roll-out, in 2009, of its vehicle scheduling control system,
the STL's on-time performance has been on the rise, to over 92%.
- In February 2010, STL President Jean-Jacques Beldié received the Guy-
Chartrand award, in the Public Transit Development and Improvement
SOURCE Société de transport de Laval
For further information: For further information: Marie-Céline Bourgault, Director, Communications & Marketing, Société de transport de Laval, (450) 662-5429, email@example.com