TORONTO, Feb. 21, 2012 /CNW/ - Stikeman Elliott LLP is very pleased to announce that it has once again been named one of Canada's Best Diversity Employers. This recognition by Mediacorp Canada Inc. marks the second time the firm has received this honour. Continuing a milestone year of celebrating its 60th anniversary, Stikeman Elliott was also ranked as one of Canada's Top Employers for a fourth consecutive year and one of Canada's 50 Best Employers for the third year in a row.
"We are thrilled to once again receive this award and the recognition it gives to the many initiatives we have undertaken to acknowledge and celebrate the diverse nature of our firm", said firm chair, Pierre Raymond. "Each of our offices is committed to incorporating diversity initiatives in areas like recruitment, mentoring and client engagements to ensure that all of our firm members are supported and respected. This award is a wonderful confirmation that our efforts are successful."
Canada's Best Diversity Employers program recognizes 45 employers from across Canada with exemplary diversity initiatives in five employee groups (a) women; (b) members of visible minorities; (c) persons with disabilities; (d) Aboriginal peoples; and (e) lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered/transsexual (LGBT) peoples.
"Over the past several years, the firm has undertaken many terrific diversity initiatives and our commitment to diversity is truly embraced by all," said Lorna Cuthbert, partner and chair of the Toronto office diversity committee. "We believe that our success in this area stems largely from our overall 'grass-roots' approach to diversity at the firm. We talk to firm members about their experiences, ask for feedback and engage our members in identifying opportunities and initiatives that are important to them. I have personally benefited from this commitment in numerous ways in my 20 years at the firm and I believe our dedication to inclusion is reflective in all that we do."
Stikeman Elliott's Diversity Programs include:
- Client and business development programs designed for women
- Participation in industry organizations and client activities which promote connections through diversity initiatives, including: Ascend (Asian Business Leaders); Women in Capital Markets; and ARK's conferences on the Advancement and Retention of LGBT lawyers
- Training for new hires, mentors and firm members involved in recruitment and people development, which highlights sensitivity to diversity and gender issues
- "Hear My Name" - the firm's name pronunciation tool that allows firm members to record the correct pronunciation of their name to enhance workplace collegiality and facilitate communication within the firm
- Return-From-Maternity Leave Coaching Program for women on a range of topics related to career development and work-life balance
- Working with diversity experts to increase our cultural fluency to grow our business globally and reach our international client base
- Community outreach designed to connect with and attract the best talent from diverse communities. This includes our work with:
- Classe Affaires / MR3 Montréal Relève (Montreal)
- Kids Inn Play (Calgary)
- L.E.A.F. West Coast (Vancouver)
- "Ice Hockey in Harlem" (NYC)
- First Nations Child and Family Caring Society (Ottawa)
- Pathways to Education (Toronto)
- Our firm's online Statutory Holidays and Multi-Faith Observance Calendar, which includes holidays and observances around the world, for scheduling and accommodation purposes
- Religious Accommodation Policy that applies to staff wishing to observe holidays in addition to or in lieu of traditional Christian statutory holidays. We also have a Reflection room, which firm members can use for prayer or reflection during the day.
- Firm-wide policies to support LGBT lawyers and staff, including equitable spousal benefits and parental leave policies
- Accessible office design with adapted work-spaces and accommodation for firm members with physical disabilities
A full list of this year's winners can be found at www.eluta.ca
ABOUT STIKEMAN ELLIOTT LLP
Stikeman Elliott LLP is one of Canada's leading business law firms with over 500 lawyers in five offices across Canada. The firm is a Canadian leader in each of its core practice areas - corporate finance, M&A, banking, corporate commercial, real estate, tax, insolvency, structured finance, competition, infrastructure, communications, intellectual property, employment and business litigation - and has developed in-depth knowledge of a wide range of industries from banking and insurance to energy, mining and technology. It was selected as the 2011 Canadian Firm of the Year by the International Financial Law Review.
The firm was named as one of Canada's 50 Best Employers in 2010, 2011 and 2012 (as selected by Aon Hewitt), one of Canada's Top 100 Employers from 2009-2012, one of Canada's Best Diversity Employers in 2012 (each as selected by Mediacorp) and as one of Canada's "Green 30" environmentally-friendly employers (as selected by Hewitt Associates, in partnership with Maclean's and Canadian Business magazines). The firm was the first national Canadian law firm to be certified as carbon neutral, as of 2008.
For more information about Stikeman Elliott, please visit our website at www.stikeman.com
For further information:
Director, National Marketing and Business Development
Email: [email protected]
Director of Marketing
Email: [email protected]