TORONTO, Oct. 18, 2012 /CNW/ - For the fourth consecutive year, Stikeman Elliott LLP, a national law firm with five Canadian and three international offices, has been selected among the Best Employers in Canada, in a survey undertaken by Aon Hewitt. The firm was selected as #24 overall among this year's recipients, with approximately 150 organizations registering for the study.
"Our firm is committed to attracting and retaining the top talent in each of our practice groups and business areas," said William Braithwaite, Stikeman Elliott Chair. "Innovative, dedicated lawyers and professional staff are what make us successful. Without them our accomplishments would not be possible."
Stikeman Elliott's selection was determined primarily by surveys completed by firm members. The study measures employee engagement, with Aon Hewitt noting that organizations with high engagement enjoy tangible benefits such as a greater ability to attract and retain key talent and superior client/customer service. This is especially important particularly now, when many parts of the Canadian economy are showing signs of recovery and employee attraction and retention is becoming more challenging.
For Stikeman Elliott, the survey results showed a large majority of the firm's members would recommend it to a friend seeking employment, tell others great things about working at the firm, and that Stikeman Elliott's work environment inspires them to do their best work every day.
"This honour is very special to us because it reflects the opinions of our firm members," said Braithwaite. "This feedback allows us to understand what we're doing right and where we can improve as we move forward in our continued effort to make Stikeman Elliott an excellent place to work."
Stikeman Elliott has undertaken a number of initiatives, often organized at a grassroots level, to enhance its workplace environment and corporate citizenship. Some of the firm's major initiatives in recent years include:
- National Diversity Committee focused on increased education and cross office collaboration on our diversity and inclusion initiatives;
- Increased dialogue on firm member engagement feedback and focused resources and support on managing work / life issues;
- Development of improved business and people management skills through a new managers' education program;
- Enhanced waste reduction, recycling and sustainability programs and continued reduction in carbon footprint;
- Pro bono engagements on behalf of Plan International, First Nations Child & Family Caring Society, Child Advocacy Society, Societe Parkinson du Quebec, Wildlife Conservancy, Pediatric Oncology Group of Ontario; and
- Partnerships with community groups such as the United Way, Ride to Conquer Cancer, Calgary's Inn From the Cold, Pathways to Education, Aboriginal Information Network and Toronto Region Immigrant Employment Council.
ABOUT STIKEMAN ELLIOTT LLP
Stikeman Elliott LLP is recognized internationally for the sophistication of its business law practice. The firm is a Canadian leader in each of its core practice areas - corporate finance, M&A, banking, corporate-commercial, real estate, tax, insolvency, structured finance, competition, business litigation - and has developed in-depth knowledge of a wide range of industries from banking and insurance to energy, mining and technology.
Stikeman Elliott maintains offices in Montréal, Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver, as well as London, New York and Sydney. The firm was named as one of the Canada's 50 Best Employers in Canada for 2010, 2011 and 2012, and as one of the Top 100 Employers in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012. It was further recognized in 2010 as one of Canada's Best Diversity Employers and Best Employers for New Canadians. It was also named as a Green 30 organization in 2010 and 2011, a distinction presented to businesses who display a commitment to environmental sustainability in their operations.
SOURCE: Stikeman Elliott LLP
For further information:
about Stikeman Elliott please visit our website at www.stikeman.com.