TORONTO, June 25, 2015 /CNW/ - On May 22, TVO formally advised White Pine Pictures that we were terminating the Agreement to commission a documentary about Premier Kathleen Wynne and the lead up to the 2015 Ontario provincial budget.
In its notification to White Pine Pictures, TVO noted that:
- A completed documentary with a director attached to the project was not delivered. Director Roxana Spicer formally resigned in writing from the White Pine Pictures' project. The lack of a director is a fundamental deficiency for a documentary production;
- A documentary consistent with TVO's journalistic standards for editorial integrity, independence and quality, as required by the Agreement, was not delivered;
- A documentary fully cleared as required by the Agreement was not delivered. As White Pine Pictures informed TVO, signed access agreements and accompanying releases for several figures who participated were not obtained;
- A documentary with Errors and Omissions (E&O) insurance as required by the Agreement was not delivered. White Pine Pictures informed TVO that it would not be seeking E&O insurance without the signed access agreements and accompanying releases, and;
- A finished documentary which met the terms of our Agreement in a timely manner to allow for our scheduled air date as agreed was not delivered.
White Pine Pictures continues to be the owner of the content of the project. TVO does not have copies of the project in our possession.
As part of TVO's broadcast license, TVO is required to operate independently and at arm's length from government and to exercise full editorial independence. This requirement is strictly adhered to in all cases.
For more on how TVO commissions documentaries: http://about.tvo.org/blog/news-releases-and-announcements/backgrounder-tvos-commissioned-documentaries
As the technological extension of Ontario's public education system, TVO's vision is to create a better world through the power of learning. TVO provides learning opportunities for Ontarians through innovative educational products, in-depth current affairs, groundbreaking documentaries, and award-winning TVOKids resources both inside and outside the classroom. TVO is funded primarily by the Province of Ontario and is a registered charity supported by sponsors and thousands of donors. For more information, visit tvo.org.
Where to find TVO
For further information: Media contact: Bill Walker, [email protected], 416-624-3936